The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) yesterday admitted for the first time that former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe took a taxi during a late night dinner with several opposition party politicians during a recent two-day visit to Taiwan.
The admission came after ministry officials had been insistent, amid growing questions raised over the diplomatic lapse, that government-supplied courtesy cars were provided at all times during Abe’s visit.
Minister of Foreign Affairs Timothy Yang (楊進添) said yesterday that Abe shared a taxi with members of the entourage at 11:30pm on Sunday night.
He maintained, however, that the incident, first revealed by Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) officials, only took place after Japanese diplomatic officials told the driver of a ministry supplied van that he could retire for the night.
“Under the circumstances of having no car, it seems like [Abe and his entourage] did take a taxi,” Yang said. “But it wasn’t because the MOFA purposely withdrew the cars.”
Yang’s remarks contradicted MOFA spokesperson James Chang (章計平), who claimed on Tuesday that a van was supplied at all times during Abe’s visit, adding the opposition party’s remarks on the taxi incident were “completely false.”
Yang yesterday said he called the van driver surnamed Tan (譚) to determine the causes of the discrepancy between the DPP and the ministry. The van driver said he was told by the Japanese that he could leave after he drove the former Japanese prime minister from the restaurant where Abe met the DPP politicians back to the hotel, Yang said.
“It was then about 10:20pm. It was impossible that our van driver would leave without permission. They are all very disciplined,” Yang said.
Several DPP politicians, all of whom were at the dinner on Sunday night, originally told the Taipei Times on Tuesday that the incident was first mentioned by a Japanese representative at the dinner party.
The DPP account said Abe had been escorted in a van provided by the ministry to the dinner party at 9pm on Sunday. He later left the party halfway through in the same van to meet with members of the Japanese press at his hotel.
At about 10:30pm, according to the DPP’s account, which differs slightly from Yang’s, Abe returned to the dinner venue in a taxi accompanied by a bodyguard and another member of the Japanese Diet.
After the dinner concluded, Abe left the venue, a seafood restaurant near Yijiang Street, accompanied by a senior DPP official and a bodyguard in DPP Secretary General Wu Nai-jen’s (吳乃仁) private sedan.
These events have since been independently confirmed to the Taipei Times by other witnesses at the venue.
Wu yesterday suggested that it was unlikely Japanese officials had told the MOFA-supplied driver he could retire from the night, adding that if this was the case, “the member of [Abe's] entourage would not be feeling this way.”
According to Wu, the member of the Abe’s entourage that told the DPP of the incident thought that it was “a bit strange” and said it was hard to understand how this could have happened.
“We know of this because a member of his entourage mentioned it. Abe didn’t talk about it at all,” he said. “We thought it was outrageous ... we had expected him to take the MOFA van back since that was the vehicle that took him to the hotel.”
This latest diplomatic bungling, could point to a serious lack of diplomatic protocol amid growing concerns that Japanese officials have been hampered by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government during their meetings with opposition party politicians.
Information given by the DPP yesterday suggested Taiwan’s representative office in Tokyo told a visiting Japanese parliamentary delegation that it was “inconvenient” to help them schedule meetings with former DPP politicians.
The statement, which the DPP said was obtained from the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Tokyo, says that it would be inconvenient to help plan visits with former Taiwanese representatives to Japan, Koh Se-kai (許世楷) and Lo Fu-chen (羅福全), as well as World United Formosans for Independence chairman Ng Chiau-tong (黃昭堂).
The Japanese delegation, including a number of members of the Japanese Diet, had originally hoped to meet the trio during their three-day trip last month, which was separate from Abe’s, DPP officials said.
“This is not the only time that meetings with [DPP] politicians have been blocked” by foreign affairs officials, DPP Legislator Chiu Yi-ying (邱議瑩) said. “This has happened many times before.”
MOFA denied the allegation in a press release yesterday, saying it had arranged for the Japanese guests to meet with Wu.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SHIH HSIU-CHUAN
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying