The local benchmark index capped 10 consecutive days of gains by hitting a six-year high yesterday, spurred by the Carlyle Group's bid for Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE), the world's largest chip-testing and packaging company.
The TAIEX rose 70.79 points, or 0.95 percent, to 7,498.15 on turnover of NT$127.17 billion (US$3.89 billion), marking its highest close since Sept. 6, 2000.
Foreign investors bought a net NT$16.02 billion of shares yesterday, boosting net purchases to NT$88.57 billion since the beginning of this month.
"International acquisition activities are an inevitable trend," Ann Chang (
Taiwanese stocks that boast healthy fundamentals are relatively cheaper than those in neighboring markets like Hong Kong, making them attractive to foreign investors and private equity funds like the Carlyle Group, Chang said.
The market watcher expects the injection of overseas funds to continue for the foreseeable future, spurring the local equity market, which has lagged behind other Asian markets.
Shares of ASE rose by the 7 percent daily limit to close at NT$37.95, bringing it closer to Carlyle's offer of NT$39 per share.
"[Investors] have been encouraged by the Carlyle bid. It is not a surprise at all. [ASE's] share price is expected to increase [again] on Tuesday [today]," said Fuh-Hwa Securities Investment and Trust analyst Bentham Hung.
Over the weekend, ASE said it had received an indication of interest from a consortium of investors led by Carlyle of the US on a potential offer to acquire all outstanding ASE shares.
At NT$39 per share, the deal values ASE at US$5.46 billion.
ASE chairman and chief executive officer Jason Chang (張虔生) agreed, subject to certain conditions, to commit his 18.4 percent ASE stake to the deal, the company said.
"The Carlyle bid for ASE is likely to trigger a series of takeovers by foreign investors in Taiwan's high-tech sector, using the island as a springboard into the huge mainland [China] market," an analyst with a regional brokerage said.
If the Carlyle bid succeeds, regulations dictate that ASE will be delisted from the local stock market.
Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC) spokeswoman Susan Chang (張秀蓮) said the commission would monitor the "unusual case," as ASE announced the share sale before applying to the commission.
Chang said there was also some concern that a series of foreign takeovers of local listed companies could see the stock market stripped of its top companies.
Citing institutional investor research, local media reported yesterday that 30 local companies, including the world's second-largest contract chip maker, United Microelectronics Corp, along with Acer Inc and Chunghwa Picture Tubes, had been targeted by suitors.
Maintaining an edge
Eager to maintain its edge over rivals in an industry led by Amkor Technology Inc, ASE was expected to use the foreign takeover -- if it went through -- to bypass the government's restrictions on investments in China, dealers said.
Under the nation's current policy on China-bound investments, local companies are only allowed to invest up to 40 percent of their net worth on the mainland.
Critics have called for a relaxation of this regulation which ties the hands of local businesses, while their rivals from around the world face no such restrictions.
"Above all, ASE has come up with a solution for many other Taiwanese companies that have also been weighed down by the government's restrictions against their expanding further in China," said an analyst with a leading foreign securities house who asked not to be named.
Analysts said the government's tight grip on China-bound investments by local companies had a profound impact on the local stock market even before the Carlyle-ASE case surfaced.
This has led local companies to seek overseas listings, with Hong Kong the preferred choice, in order to enjoy much higher valuations than is possible at home, as well as to get around the restrictions on China-bound investments, they said.
Uni-President Enterprises Corp, the flagship of the nation's largest food and beverage conglomerate, has said it plans to list a wholly owned China-based unit in Asia, with Hong Kong seen as one of the possible locations for the listing.
"No final decision has been made on the timing and stock exchange for the planned listing," company spokeswoman Selina Wu (
Meanwhile, the nation's financial stocks also soared for the fifth day yesterday, led by small-cap, independent banks on speculations for their possible acquisition by interested international private equity funds.
The financial sub-index rose 0.34 percent yesterday, with EnTie Bank (
The two banking stocks gained after being listed by analysts among 30 most likely acquisition targets.
EnTie said in a filing to the Taiwan Stock Exchange yesterday that it is open to a partnership with foreign investors.
"A number of foreign investors have called on us before, but no deals have taken place thus far," EnTie vice president Rich Lee (
EnTie would prefer an approach from a foreign bank, rather than a buyout fund, as such a partnership could help to sharpen its management know-how and international presence, Lee said.
Meanwhile, the Carlyle Group is reportedly also interested in acquiring Chinese Bank after taking control of its affiliate, Eastern Multimedia Co (
However, the financial regulator is likely to take an increasingly guarded approach to approaches from international buyout funds.
The FSC held an informal meeting on the issue yesterday, but has not yet reached any conclusions, Susan Chang said.
The financial watchdog would closely review the suitability of buyout funds becoming major shareholder of local financial institutions, she said.
Takeovers of non-financial companies by private equity funds are subject to the approval of the Ministry of Economic Affairs' Investment Commission, she added.
In regulatory terms, it is almost impossible to block bids from buyout funds. Any new defensive measures would require inter-departmental consensus within the Cabinet, Susan Chang said.
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on
ON THE LOOKOUT: A Lockheed EP-3 reconnaissance plane was yesterday seen flying southwest of Kaohsiung, according to Twitter account ‘Aircraft Spots’ A Twitter account that tracks military aircraft movements has indicated an increase in US military activity near Taiwan, coinciding with an increase in Chinese military activity in the area. Planes from the US Seventh Fleet have been sighted frequently above the South China Sea in the past several days, and a US Navy EP-3 reconnaissance plane was seen flying close to Taiwanese airspace southwest of Kaohsiung yesterday, according to posts by the Twitter account Aircraft Spots. The EP-3 was seen circling above the same area, Aircraft Spots said, adding that other planes from the fleet were seen in the past few days
A Taipei resident who had breached his home quarantine order was found on Tuesday night in an Internet cafe and fined NT$1 million (US$32,976), Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) said yesterday, as the Taipei City Government announced a short-term COVID-19 relief plan. Huang on Tuesday afternoon publicized the name of the man, Chen Tse (陳冊), who on Saturday last week returned from Beijing and was ordered to undergo 14-day home quarantine. However, city monitoring officials were unable to contact him by mobile phone or at his home. Chen was found by police at an Internet cafe on Nanyang Street, Huang said
ACCLIMATION: Chen Shih-chung said that only ‘soft’ policies have been carried out so far, but ‘hard’ measures would be implemented if the coronavirus situation worsens The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday recommended that indoor events of more than 100 people and outdoor events with more than 500 people should be canceled, as 19 new imported cases of COVID-19 were announced, bringing the total number in Taiwan to 235. “The center recommends that from now, indoor events of more than 100 people and outdoor events with more than 500 people should be suspended to reduce the risk of COVID-19 community transmission,” said Deputy Minister of the Interior Chen Tsung-yen (陳宗彥), deputy head of the center. Event organizers should refer to six indicators listed in the response guidelines