Australian Prime Minister John Howard yesterday called a general election for Oct. 9, with his conservative government trailing well behind the opposition Labor Party in opinion polls.
Howard, 65 and seeking a fourth term in office, said he would campaign on his government's record of economic growth, tax cuts and national security and would fight back against suggestions he had lied to voters in the past.
"This election will be about trust," said Howard, one of US President George W. Bush's closest foreign allies.
"Who do you trust to keep the economy strong and protect family living standards?" he asked, noting that Australia enjoyed one of the most robust economies in the developed world after his eight years in office.
"Who do you trust to keep interest rates low? Who do you trust to lead the fight on Australia's behalf against international terrorism?" he asked.
Howard is the first leader from the so-called "coalition of the willing" which invaded Iraq last year to put his political fate in voters' hands -- just three weeks before Bush goes before his electorate.
And the latest opinion poll at the weekend confirmed he faces the fight of his long political life.
The survey gave the Labor Party under 43-year-old Mark Latham a 55-45 percent lead in voter preferences in a head-to-head race against the governing Liberal-National coalition.
But most analysts expect a tighter contest, noting that Howard trailed Labor before the last election in 2001 and ended up winning a comfortable majority of 82 seats in the 150-member House of Representatives.
Howard, a Sydney lawyer, is already Australia's third longest serving prime minister behind his political idol, Liberal Party founder Robert Menzies, who governed for more than 18 years, and the Labor Party's Bob Hawke, who held office for just over eight years.
Howard would not be drawn yesterday on whether he would see through another three-year term if elected. Polls give his designated successor, Treasurer Peter Costello, a lower rating as potential leader.
Latham quickly took up Howard's theme of trust, but turned it against his rival.
"We've had too much dishonesty from the Howard government," he said. "People don't trust this government any more, with good reason."
Calling for a "new generation" of national leaders, Latham accused the Howard government of neglecting Australia's weakest.
"The Howard government in recent years has been taking the rungs out of the ladder of opportunity," he said.
"I want to put those rungs back in so as people work hard and they climb the ladder they have got a government that's providing the services that give them the very best opportunities in life."
Howard signalled yesterday that in addition to the economy his campaign would focus on national security and his strong relationship with Bush.
His government has spent billions of dollars on counterterrorism measures since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the US and earlier this year signed a controversial free trade agreement with Washington.
But his decision to join the US and Britain in invading Iraq last year was unpopular and has left Howard vulnerable to charges he misled the public by claiming the war was needed to get rid of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.
Latham has vowed to withdraw Australia's 850 troops from Iraq if elected.
Howard's credibility has been further shaken by charges he lied just before the 2001 election by claiming a group of asylum-seekers had thrown their children into the sea when their boat was intercepted by an Australian warship.
The so-called "children overboard" allegation sparked a wave of anti-refugee sentiment that helped sweep Howard to victory on a tough anti-immigration platform.
Subsequent inquiries found no children were thrown overboard and last week a retired defense official said he told the prime minister the story was false, a day before Howard reiterated the allegations in an election-eve speech.
Labor had threatened to take the issue up in the Senate today. In an unusual move, Howard announced that the Senate would continue to sit until tomorrow, making a pointed reference to the debate.
"I didn't want anybody to suggest that I was trying to prevent the Senate doing any pointless political business that it might want to do," he said.
The announcement means an unusually long election campaign -- six weeks instead of the usual five -- and also means the tail end of campaigning will clash with two key football finals, an important issue in sports-mad Australia.
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good