Insurgents fired mortars at a meeting where Iraqi leaders met to pick an interim national assembly yesterday, killing at least one in a brazen attack showing the problems the country faces on its path to democracy.
The Interior Ministry said three mortar bombs hit a taxi and bus station on the edge of the heavily fortified Green Zone in Baghdad, a few hundred meters away from the conference center, also wounding 17 people.
PHOTO: REUTERS
The three-day conference, attended by 1,300 delegates, was not affected and sessions proceeded as planned, although many delegates were startled as windows shook.
The attack, despite massive security, curfews around the zone, checkpoints and blocked streets illustrates Iraq's nightmarish security as politicians and religious leaders try to plot the country's stuttering road to democracy.
The Health Ministry said one person was killed and 17 hurt.
Clashes also broke out between police and gunmen in Haifa street in central Baghdad. There was no word of casualties.
The opening of the conference came amid sporadic fighting in the holy city of Najaf between Shiite militiamen and combined US and Iraqi forces after the collapse of peace talks on Saturday.
Five blasts echoed from near Najaf's holy sites after midday, but there were no signs US and Iraqi forces had launched an all-out offensive against the militia loyal to Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.
The failed peace talks had aimed to end 10 days of fighting that has killed hundreds and threatened to undermine the authority of interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi.
Police chief Ghaleb al-Jazaeri earlier called a news conference and threatened to arrest local staff of all media outlets if both Iraqi and foreign staff did not leave Najaf.
He did not elaborate.
The political and religious leaders gathered for the conference in Baghdad will choose a 100-member assembly, or national council, to oversee the interim government until elections are held in January.
"Your presence here today is the biggest challenge to the forces of darkness that want to tear this country apart. This is not the end of the road, it is the first step on the way to democracy," Allawi said in opening remarks.
The conference has been beset by boycotts from key players such as Sadr and the Muslim Clerics Association, an influential grouping of Sunni religious leaders. Some Shiite leaders threatened to withdraw from the conference because of the fighting in Najaf.
The conference was due to open late last month but was delayed after the UN demanded more time for preparations. Some delegates taking part have accused the government of stacking the slate with Allawi supporters.
"The political parties in power now have the overwhelming majority of delegates. They left no room for independents," said Mohammed Bahr al-Uloum, a leading Shiite cleric.
Also see story:
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good