A death threat hung over a Filipino hostage in Iraq yesterday, and the fate of a kidnapped Lebanese-born US Marine remained uncertain.
Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo ordered no more workers to go to Iraq after Arabic al Jazeera television said gunmen had seized a Filipino there and threatened to kill him unless Manila withdrew its troops within 72 hours.
Relatives of Corporal Wassef Ali Hassoun said they had no news of his whereabouts, though Beirut's US embassy said it had credible information the Marine was in Lebanon.
PHOTO: AFP
Hassoun went missing from his unit on June 21 and is thought to have been kidnapped. On Tuesday, his relatives in north Lebanon said they had received word he had been released.
But his brother, Sami Hassoun, told reporters yesterday there had been no news since.
US officials in Beirut confirmed a report from the State Department that it had information Hassoun was in Lebanon, but said he was not in the embassy.
"We have credible information that he is in Lebanon and safe but this is not confirmed," an embassy spokeswoman said.
Kidnappers have seized dozens of foreigners since April to press demands for foreign troops to leave Iraq, to deter foreigners from working with US forces or to extract ransom.
Many hostages have been freed, but at least four have been killed, including an American and a South Korean beheaded by a group led by Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.
Iraq's interim government, determined to crush foreign Islamist militants and Iraqi insurgents, announced a new security law on Wednesday giving itself powers to declare martial law in defined areas for periods of up to 60 days.
Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's government, which formally took sovereign powers on June 28, has said it plans to restore the death penalty, suspended during the US-led occupation, and offer a temporary amnesty for rebels not guilty of serious crimes.
Gunmen shot and wounded the assistant dean of Kerbala University, Falah al-Safi, as he drove to work in the southern Shiite shrine city on Thursday, police said.
The motive for the attack was not clear, but intellectuals, politicians and bureaucrats are often targeted by insurgents bent on keeping Iraq unstable.
The Philippines, a staunch ally of the US, has about 50 military personnel in Iraq helping in reconstruction, as well as 4,300 civilian workers, many employed by contractors and working in US military bases.
Arroyo's spokesman said there would be a decision "very shortly" in response to the troop withdrawal demand.
Three Filipino workers have been killed in attacks by insurgents opposed to the US military presence in Iraq.
Manila's top diplomat in Baghdad said there was no firm word on the hostage's identity or where he had been seized.
"Until now we cannot establish for sure that he is a Filipino national," charge d'affaires Ricardo Endaya told reporters, adding that the embassy was contacting Iraqi authorities and possible intermediaries to seek his release.
A video tape aired by al Jazeera on Wednesday showed a man in an orange jumpsuit kneeling in front of three gunmen. A banner behind them identified the group as the Khalid bin Waleed Corps of the Islamic Army in Iraq.
It showed the identity card of Hafidh Amer, an Iraqi security company employee the gunmen said they had killed.
Unidentified militants have also kidnapped an Egyptian driver who was delivering fuel from Saudi Arabia to the US military in Iraq, Al Jazeera reported on Wednesday.
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good