Ten terrorist bombs exploded in three busy Madrid train stations during the height of morning rush hour yesterday, killing at least 173 commuters and wounding more than 600 in Spain's worst terrorist attack ever. The government blamed the blasts on the armed Basque separatist group ETA. \nThe Interior Ministry said the explosives used in the blasts were a kind of dynamite that ETA normally uses. A ministry official said Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar and Interior Minister Angel Acebes had been told this following tests on the explosives. \nThe bombings, which occurred three days before general elections, started exploding around 7:30am in a commuter train arriving at Atocha station, a bustling hub for subway, commuter and long-distance trains in Spain's capital. Blasts also rocked trains or platforms at two stations on a commuter line leading to Atocha. \nWorst hit was a double-decker train at the El Pozo station, where two bombs killed 70 people, fire department inspector Juan Redondo said. \n"This is mass murder," Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar said, somber after an emergency Cabinet meeting. He vowed to hunt down the attackers and reached out to relatives of the victims. \n"I want to tell them I feel their terrible anguish as if it were mine," Aznar said, reading from a statement. He took no questions. \nPeople in tears streamed away from Atocha station as rescue workers carried bodies covered in sheets of gold fabric. People with bloodied faces sat on curbs, using cellphones to tell loved ones they were alive. Hospitals appealed for blood donations. Buses were pressed into service as ambulances. \nPolice also set off three controlled detonations of suspected bombs. \n"ETA had been looking for a massacre in Spain," Interior Minister Angel Acebes said, citing recent thwarted attacks. "Unfortunately, today it achieved its goal." \nAcebes said security services blames ETA, which the government had described recently as decimated, because the group attempted a similar attack on Christmas Eve, placing bombs on two trains bound for a Madrid station that was not hit yesterday. \nHe also noted that on Feb. 29, police intercepted a Madrid-bound van packed with more than 500kg of explosives and blamed ETA. \n"Therefore, it is absolutely clear and evident that the terrorist organization ETA was looking to commit a major attack," Acebes said. "The only thing that varies is the train station that was targeted." \nThe blasts killed at least 173 people and injured more than 600, Acebes said. \nRescue workers were over-whelmed, said Enrique Sanchez, an ambulance driver who went to Santa Eugenia station, about 10km southeast of Atocha. \n"There was one carriage totally blown apart. People were scattered all over the platforms. I saw legs and arms. I won't forget this ever. I've seen horror," Sanchez said. \nArnold Otegi, leader of Batasuna, an outlawed Basque party linked to the armed separatist group, denied it was behind the blasts and suggested "Arab resistance" elements were responsible. \nOtegi told Radio Popular in San Sebastian that ETA always phones in warnings before it attacks. The interior minister said there was no warning before yesterday's attack. \n"The modus operandi, the high number of victims and the way it was carried out make me think, and I have a hypothesis in mind, that yes it may have been an operative cell from the Arab resistance," Otegi said. Otegi noted that Spain's government backed the Iraq war. \nThe attack traumatized Spain on the eve of an election. \nThe campaign was largely dominated by separatist tensions in regions like the Basque country, with both the ruling conservative Popular Party and the opposition Socialists ruling out talks with ETA. \nBut the Socialists came in for withering criticism because a politician linked to the Socialist-run government in the Catalonia region, which also has separatist sentiment, admitted meeting with ETA members in France in January. \nShards of twisted metal were scattered by rails in the Atocha station at the spot where an explosion severed a train in two. \n"I saw many things explode in the air, I don't know, it was horrible," said Juani Fernandez, 50, who was on the platform. \n"People started to scream and run, some bumping into each other and as we ran there was another explosion. I saw people with blood pouring from them, people on the ground," Fernandez said.
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus yesterday issued a rebuttal to former US secretary of state Condoleezza Rice, who said a fistfight in the Legislative Yuan might have been “provoked from the outside” to destabilize Taiwan. Rice made the comment in an online discussion about the AUKUS alliance of Australia, the UK and the US hosted by the Policy Exchange forum in London on Thursday. On mention of Taiwan, she was quoted by The Australian as predicting that Beijing would use paramilitary forces and acts of sabotage to destabilize the nation. “There was a fistfight in the Taiwanese parliament a few weeks ago
A Taiwanese YouTuber suspected of creating and selling deepfake porn videos featuring more than 100 politicians and influencers was on Monday released on bail after being arrested the previous day. Chu Yu-chen (朱玉宸), 26, who uses the name Xiaoyu (小玉) on YouTube, was arrested on Sunday in New Taipei City, along with two suspected accomplices, a 24-year-old YouTuber surnamed Yeh (耶), known as Shaiw Shaiw (笑笑), and a 22-year-old man Chuang (莊). The three suspects were on Monday escorted to the New Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office for further questioning on suspicion of distributing obscene videos and publicly insulting others, in contravention of
CHINA WORRIES: A source said the AIT held a meeting at which Taiwan lawmakers and US officials discussed expediting shipments of arms that were paid for Taiwanese officials have reportedly reached out to the US to discuss the possibility of expediting the delivery of F-16 jets to Taiwan, CNN said on Friday. While the “Pentagon’s Indo-Pacific Command has watched with increasing concern as China has rapidly modernized its military and improved its training with an eye to Taiwan,” the US Department of State is wary of taking a more aggressive stance against China, a CNN report said. US President Joe Biden’s “administration has discussed with Taiwanese officials the possibility of expediting the delivery of American-made F-16s to Taiwan, according to Taiwanese and US officials familiar with the talks,”
FAMILY: While the CECC agrees ‘in principle’ to allowing entry to foreign spouses and children of foreigners in Taiwan with a residence permit, the issue is still being reviewed A nationwide level 2 COVID-19 alert is to be extended for two weeks until Nov. 1, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, adding that agencies are still discussing whether to allow foreign spouses and children of foreigners in Taiwan with a residence permit to enter the nation. “In principle we agree to relaxing the entry regulations for the group, but relevant agencies are still reviewing and discussing the matter,” said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center. The center on Sept. 13 eased border restrictions for foreign dependents of Taiwanese nationals. They can apply