New Power Party (NPP) lawmakers yesterday called on the Executive Yuan to launch an investigation into allegations by anonymous whistle-blowers who say that hackers had stolen more than 23 million pieces of information from the Ministry of the Interior’s Department of Household Registration and sold them online.
Since the first report of the alleged breach in October, government agencies have remained inactive, even claiming that the information was “outdated,” NPP legislators Claire Wang (王婉諭) and Chiu Hsien-chih (邱顯智) said.
Last month, an account on the BreachedForum Web site sold 23.57 million pieces of information allegedly stolen from the department’s Web site, the lawmakers said.
Photo: Chen Chih-chu, Taipei Times
The same user in October also sold allegedly stolen information, they added.
The information included names, national identification card numbers, marital statuses, the names of the individual’s parents and children, their residency address and other personal information, the lawmakers cited the whistle-blowers as saying.
Wang said that the data must originate from the government because no other entity has such detailed information.
However, the government has denied any leaks.
The format of the information was “distinct from the household registration system” and compiled from “old data,” the government said, adding that such information was exclusively stored in internal networks.
The lawmakers said that the government owes Taiwanese an explanation and should investigate the matter, especially as it is a large-scale leak of sensitive data.
The government’s obfuscation and attempts to shirk responsibility are irresponsible, Chiu said, calling on the government to observe Article 12 of the Personal Data Protection Act (個人資料保護法), which stipulates that it must inform those affected by leaks of government data.
Citing data from the Ministry of Civil Services, Chiu said that as of last year, cybersecurity experts accounted for less than 1 percent of civil service employees.
Government agencies employing only 3,500 such experts shows that there is a long-time shortage, Chiu said, urging the government to end its reliance on external cybersecurity expertise.
Chiu said that the same BreachedForum account is also offering 28.11 million pieces of information allegedly stolen from the Bureau of Labor Insurance, as well as 1.68 million pieces of stock exchange transaction information.
Chiu said it is the responsibility of the Executive Yuan and the Ministry of Digital Development to bolster the security of government data.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a