Britain’s data watchdog launched a probe yesterday after confidential files relating to Barclays Bank customers were allegedly stolen then sold on to rogue brokers.
The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) said it would be looking into the case this week, after it was revealed in the Mail on Sunday newspaper.
The tabloid said highly sensitive information — including bank customers’ savings, earnings, insurance policies, mortgages and health issues — had found its way into the hands of “unscrupulous brokers.”
The newspaper claimed such information was valuable on the black market because it allows individuals to be targeted in investment scams.
WHISTLE-BLOWER
The weekly said an anonymous whistle-blower gave reporters a memory stick containing files on 2,000 Barclays customers.
The man said it was a sample from a stolen database of up to 27,000 files, which he claimed could be sold by salesmen for up to £50 (US$80) each.
“We contacted the Information Commissioner and other regulators on Friday as soon as we were made aware,” a Barclays spokeswoman said.
“Our initial investigations suggest this is isolated to customers linked to our Barclays Financial Planning business, which we ceased operating as a service in 2011,” she said.
“We will take all necessary steps to contact and advise those customers as soon as possible so that they can also ensure the safety of their personal data,” she added.
CRIMINAL ACTIVITY
“This appears to be criminal action and we will cooperate with the authorities on pursuing the perpetrator,” the spokeswoman said.
A source at the British bank said it did not yet know in full what was on the memory stick.
Each report is about 20 pages long, the Mail on Sunday said. All the customers had sought financial advice from Barclays, and gave their details during meetings with an adviser.
Select traders were given the information, the paper claimed, and from December 2012 to September last year, some victims were persuaded to buy rare earth metals that did not exist.
An ICO spokesman said: “It’s crucial that people’s personal information is properly looked after.”
“We’ll be working with the Mail on Sunday this week to get further details of what has happened here, as well as working with the police,” the spokesman added.
The ICO can slap fines of up to £500,000 on organizations that fail to protect private data.
Shares of contract chipmaker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) came under pressure yesterday after a report that Apple Inc is looking to shift some orders from the Taiwanese company to Intel Corp. TSMC shares fell NT$55, or 2.4 percent, to close at NT$2,235 on the local main board, Taiwan Stock Exchange data showed. Despite the losses, TSMC is expected to continue to benefit from sound fundamentals, as it maintains a lead over its peers in high-end process development, analysts said. “The selling was a knee-jerk reaction to an Intel-Apple report over the weekend,” Mega International Investment Services Corp (兆豐國際投顧) analyst Alex Huang
TRANSITION: With the closure, the company would reorganize its Taiwanese unit to a sales and service-focused model, Bridgestone said Bridgestone Corp yesterday announced it would cease manufacturing operations at its tire plant in Hsinchu County’s Hukou Township (湖口), affecting more than 500 workers. Bridgestone Taiwan Co (台灣普利司通) said in a statement that the decision was based on the Tokyo-based tire maker’s adjustments to its global operational strategy and long-term market development considerations. The Taiwanese unit would be reorganized as part of the closure, effective yesterday, and all related production activities would be concluded, the statement said. Under the plan, Bridgestone would continue to deepen its presence in the Taiwanese market, while transitioning to a sales and service-focused business model, it added. The Hsinchu
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) has approved a capital budget of US$31.28 billion for production expansion to meet long-term development needs during the artificial intelligence (AI) boom. The company’s board meeting yesterday approved the capital appropriation plan for purposes such as the installation of advanced technology capacity and fab construction, the world’s largest contract chipmaker said in a statement. At an earnings conference last month, TSMC forecast that its capital expenditure for this year would be at the higher end of the US$52 billion to US$56 billion range it forecast in January in response to robust demand for 5G, AI and
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co’s (TSMC, 台積電) investment project in Arizona has progressed better than expected, but it still faces challenges such as water and labor shortages, National Development Council (NDC) Minister Yeh Chun-hsien (葉俊顯) said yesterday. Speaking with reporters after visiting TSMC’s Arizona hub and attending the SelectUSA Investment Summit in Maryland last week, Yeh said TSMC’s Arizona site turned a profit of NT$16.14 billion (US$514 million) last year in its first full year of mass production. “TSMC told me it was surprised by the smooth trial run of the first fab, which has left the company optimistic about the project’s outlook,”