Scammers in Singapore face mandatory caning of up to 24 strokes for serious cases with effect from yesterday as a law authorizing the punishment came into effect.
The city-state has doubled down on syndicates following record-high scam losses, with the Singaporean Ministry of Home Affairs saying that “fighting scams is a top national priority.”
Southeast Asia’s second-largest economy lost more than US$2.8 billion through scams from 2020 to the first half of this year, Singaporean Senior Minister of State for Home Affairs Sim Ann (沈穎) told parliament last month as she pushed for the bill to pass.
Photo: AFP
About 190,000 cases of scamming had been reported over that time period, she said.
Caning scammers was part of amendments to the penal code passed in parliament in November, and would be imposed on top of other punishments like imprisonment and fines.
Scammers and members of scam syndicates or recruiters “will face mandatory caning of at least six strokes, up to a maximum of 24 strokes,” the ministry said in a statement.
Those helping scammers, including so-called “money mules” who offer bank accounts or SIM cards, face “discretionary caning” of up to 12 lashes, it added.
In the past few years, Singaporean authorities have intensified public education efforts against scamming, including setting up a national hotline.
In 2020, the government introduced the ScamShield app, which allows users to check suspicious calls, Web sites and messages.
Last year, then-Singaporean prime minister Lee Hsien Loong (李顯龍) told local media that he had been scammed as an item he ordered online never arrived, highlighting how the issue affected all levels of society.
Cyberscam hubs, which lure foreigners into working to swindle people with online romance and crypto investment cons, have proliferated across Southeast Asia in the past few years.
Singaporean police have said they had seized more than US$115 million in assets tied to Chen Zhi (陳志), a British-Cambodian tycoon accused of running forced labor camps in Cambodia used as multibillion dollar scam centers.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of