After four months of restless waiting, filmmaker Kiwi Chow (周冠威) received a dreaded, but not altogether unexpected, message: Hong Kong censors had banned his new movie from reaching the big screen.
The 46-year-old’s career, which took off in 2015 with an award-winning dystopian tale, encapsulates how a film industry once known for its audacious spirit and sardonic humor has dimmed to leave artists describing a creative straitjacket.
His latest thriller Deadline (自殺通告) tells the story of an elite school rattled by warnings of an impending suicide, Chow said in an interview on Wednesday last week, describing the work as an allegory for hyper-competition under capitalism.
Photo: AFP
The movie was filmed in Taiwan, but set in what Chow called an “imaginary world.”
Censors “determined that it was ‘contrary to the interests of national security’ ... but how? Nobody gave an explanation,” the director said, calling the decision “absurd.”
Beijing imposed the strict National Security Law on Hong Kong in 2020 after huge and sometimes violent democracy protests in the territory. Film censorship rules were tightened a year later.
After that, the film industry stepped up self-censorship, Chow said.
“If it involves Hong Kong’s real political situation, absolutely no one will make a movie about it,” he said.
Asked about Deadline, the Hong Kong Office for Film, Newspaper and Article Administration said it would not comment on individual applications.
Censors banned 13 films, citing national security reasons, between 2021 and July, while 50 films were “required to be modified,” the office said.
Hong Kong banned no films between 2016 and 2020, but that figure jumped to 10 in 2023.
Chow said he believes his film was rejected not because of its content, but because his years flouting Beijing’s taboos have put him on an informal blacklist.
“I want to collaborate with actors, seek out locations and investors, but it is very difficult,” he said.
“I felt so lonely,” he said of making Deadline.
On Dec. 17, 2015, Ten Years (十年) premiered in Hong Kong and showcased five dystopian vignettes — including one directed by Chow — at a time when many residents feared Beijing’s growing political influence in the semiautonomous territory.
Speaking exactly 10 years later, Chow recalled how crowds flocked to community screenings after some mainstream cinemas refused to show the film.
“Many people felt that Ten Years depicted Hong Kong’s predicament ... and how freedoms could be lost. [They felt] this was prophesized in the film and it came true,” he said.
Chow’s segment of the film, titled Self-immolator (自焚者), ends with a fictional elderly woman dousing herself in gasoline and flicking a lighter.
“The self-immolator was a symbol of sacrifice. I wanted to ask Hong Kongers: ‘How much are you willing to sacrifice for values like freedom and justice?’” he said, adding that his ideas on sacrifice are shaped by his Christian faith.
He said he got his answer during the 2019 democracy protests, which were unprecedented in scale and ferocity, and led to more than 10,200 arrests and more than 2,000 people sanctioned by law.
In 2019, Chow was near the end of the production cycle of a romantic drama film, but he also shot extensive footage of the protests that would become the documentary Revolution of Our Times (時代革命).
The documentary premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in July 2021, but Chow never tried to screen it in Hong Kong and kept the entire production team anonymous.
“After making Revolution of Our Times, I expected not to be able to make movies for quite a long time, and was mentally prepared to go to jail,” he said.
While the documentary did not land Chow in prison, the filmmaker said he paid a steep price as investors and collaborators deserted him, almost dooming Deadline.
Chow said he could not secure a single Hong Kong school as a filming location, prompting him to move the production to Taiwan, where the film was released last month.
The long-awaited Hong Kong censorship decision came as a blow, particularly for the film’s commercial prospects.
“The government took an official stance that this film was contrary to the interest of national security, which could be a first [for me], and adds some level of risk and anxiety,” Chow said.
Some of his supporters in Hong Kong traveled to Taiwan for special screenings of Deadline, although one organizer said he was searched by customs upon his return.
Hong Kong customs declined to comment on individual cases.
Chow did not want to “abandon” his home despite feeling that political censorship was creating headwinds for his work.
“Maybe I will lower my budget or change the script,” he said. “As long as [the film] can be made in Hong Kong, then I haven’t given up.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told