North Korea’s military accused South Korea of flying drones across the border between the nations this week, yesterday warning that the South would face consequences for its “unpardonable hysteria.”
Seoul quickly denied the accusation, but the development is likely to further dim prospects for its efforts to restore ties with Pyongyang.
North Korean forces used special electronic warfare assets on Sunday to bring down a South Korean drone flying over North Korea’s border town.
Photo: KCNA via Reuters
The drone was equipped with two cameras that filmed unspecified areas, the General Staff of the North Korean People’s Army said in a statement.
South Korea infiltrated another drone into North Korean airspace on Sept. 27 last year before it was forced to crash following electronic strikes by North Korea, the statement said, adding that authorities found the drone also contained videos of major objects in North Korea.
“We strongly denounce the hooligans’ serial outrageous encroachment upon our sovereignty and undisguised provocative acts against us,” it said. “The ROK military warmongers will be surely forced to pay a dear price for their unpardonable hysteria.”
The ROK is the abbreviation of the Republic of Korea, South Korea’s official name.
The South Korean Ministry of National Defense said it did not operate drones on the dates cited by North Korea and South Korean President Lee Jae-myung ordered a thorough investigation of the claim.
Since taking office in June, Lee’s government has pushed hard to reopen talks with North Korea and reconcile, but Pyongyang has steadfastly rebuffed his overture.
Pyongyang has shunned talks with Seoul and Washington since North Korean leader Kim Jong-un’s high-stakes nuclear diplomacy with US President Donald Trump fell apart in 2019 due to wrangling over international sanctions.
North Korea has since focused on building more powerful nuclear weapons and declared a hostile “two-state” system on the Korean Peninsula to terminate relations with South Korea.
Drone flights are a source of animosity between the two Koreas, with the rivals accusing each other of flying drones into their respective territories in recent years.
North Korea accused South Korea in October 2024 of flying drones over Pyongyang to drop propaganda leaflets three times.
South Korea’s military said it could not confirm whether the North’s claim was true.
Tensions rose sharply at the time, as North Korea threatened to respond with force, but neither side took any major action and tensions gradually subsided.
South Korea also has accused North Korea of occasionally flying drones over South Korea.
In December 2022, South Korea announced it fired warning shots, scrambled fighter jets and flew surveillance drones over North Korea in response to what it called North Korea’s first drone flights across the border in five years.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The