Bae Kyung-mi was five years old when the US dropped the atomic bomb “Little Boy” on Hiroshima on Aug. 6, 1945.
Like thousands of other ethnic Koreans working in the city at the time, her family kept the horror a secret.
Many feared the stigma from doing menial work for colonial ruler Japan, and false rumors that radiation sickness was contagious.
Photo: AFP
Bae recalls hearing planes overhead while she was playing at her home in Hiroshima on that day. Within minutes, she was buried in rubble.
“I told my mom in Japanese: ‘Mom. There are airplanes,’” said Bae, now 85.
She passed out shortly after.
Her home collapsed on top of her, but the debris shielded her from the burns that killed tens of thousands of people — including her aunt and uncle.
After the family moved back to South Korea, they did not speak of their experience.
“I never told my husband that I was in Hiroshima and a victim of the bombing,” Bae said. “Back then, people often said you had married the wrong person if he or she was an atomic bombing survivor.”
Her two sons only learned she had been in Hiroshima when she registered at a special center set up in 1996 in Hapcheon, South Korea, for victims of the bombings, she said.
Bae said she feared her children would suffer from radiation-related illnesses that afflicted her, forcing her to have her ovaries and a breast removed because of the high cancer risk.
She knew why she was getting sick, but did not tell her own family.
“We all hushed it up,” she said.
About 740,000 people were killed or injured in the twin bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
More than 10 percent of the victims were Korean, data suggests, the result of huge flows of people to Japan while it colonized the Korean Peninsula.
Survivors who stayed in Japan found that they had to endure discrimination both as hibakusha, or atomic bomb survivors, and as Koreans.
Many Koreans also had to choose between pro-Pyongyang and pro-Seoul groups in Japan, after the peninsula was left divided by the 1950 to 1953 Korean War.
Kwon Joon-oh’s mother and father both survived the attack on Hiroshima.
The 76-year-old’s parents, like others of their generation, could only work by taking on “filthy and dangerous jobs” that the Japanese considered beneath them, he said.
Korean victims were also denied an official memorial for decades, with a cenotaph for them put up in the Hiroshima Peace Park only in the late 1990s.
Kim Hwa-ja was four on Aug. 6, 1945, and remembers being put on a makeshift horse-drawn trap as her family tried to flee Hiroshima after the bomb.
Smoke filled the air and the city was burning, she said, recalling how she peeped out from under a blanket covering her, and her mother screaming at her not to look.
Korean groups estimate that up to 50,000 Koreans could have been in the city that day, including tens of thousands working as forced laborers at military sites, but records are sketchy.
“The city office was devastated so completely that it wasn’t possible to track down clear records,” a Hiroshima official said.
Japan’s colonial policy banned the use of Korean names, further complicating record-keeping.
After the attacks, tens of thousands of Korean survivors moved back to their newly independent nation, but many have struggled with health issues and stigma ever since.
“In those days, there were unfounded rumors that radiation exposure could be contagious,” said Jeong Soo-won, director of the country’s Hapcheon Atomic Bomb Victim Center.
Nationwide, there are believed to be about 1,600 South Korean survivors still alive, Jeong said — with 82 of them in residence at the center.
Seoul enacted a special law in 2016 to help the survivors — including a monthly stipend of about US$72 — but it provides no assistance to their offspring or extended families.
“There are many second and third-generation descendants affected by the bombings and suffering from congenital illnesses,” Jeong said.
A provision to support them “must be included,” he said.
A Japanese hibakusha group won the Nobel Peace Prize last year in recognition of their efforts to show the world the horrors of nuclear war, but 80 years after the attacks, many survivors in both Japan and Korea say the world has not learned.
US President Donald Trump compared his strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
“Would he understand the tragedy of what the Hiroshima bombing has caused? Would he understand that of Nagasaki?” survivor Kim Gin-ho said.
In South Korea, the Hapcheon center is to hold a commemoration tomorrow — with survivors hoping that this year the event would attract more attention.
From politicians, “there has been only talk ... but no interest,” Kim Gin-ho said.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding