Agence France-Presse (AFP) news agency’s chief executive Fabrice Fries on Friday announced plans to save 12 million to 14 million euros (US$13.9 million to US$16.2 million) by the end of next year due to declining revenues.
Speaking in a video available to staff online, Fries said the agency would launch an immediate cost-savings plan to cut about 2 million euros by the end of this year.
“But it’s really 2026 we need to prepare for, and here the bar will be much higher. We estimate that we will need to find between 10 and 12 million euros in savings,” he added.
Photo: AFP
“Of course, this is bad news, but AFP is resilient,” he continued.
AFP, one of the world’s biggest news agencies, which employs 2,600 staff worldwide, has been affected by several factors that have weighed on its financial performance.
Fears about a global recession had led many clients to enter “wait-and-see mode” and either delay investment decisions or reduce their budgets, Fries said.
Funding cuts from the US government under US President Donald Trump have also hit AFP clients, meaning “some have been forced to abruptly cancel their subscriptions,” he added.
Social network giant Facebook has also terminated its fact-checking program in the US, for which AFP was an important paid partner.
“Thirdly, we have overestimated our ability to get big tech to recognize and pay for our intellectual property,” Fries said.
“We have to face up to the fact that the changing political situation in the US means that tech companies are not feeling any pressure to respect copyright,” he added.
The media industry as a whole is also contending with further declines in advertising revenues and the advent of artificial intelligence. AFP’s boss did not specify whether the group would resort to job cuts to achieve its savings target, but he said that “we have to question everything without taboos.”
Last year, AFP posted a net profit of 200,000 euros on revenues of 326.4 million euros.
After seven years of growth, AFP’s revenues are set to fall last year to about 8 million euros less than forecast in the budget, Fries said.
Alongside its commercial income, the agency also receives funding from the French state, which amounted to 118.9 million euros last year.
AFP is one of the world’s three major general news agencies, alongside the Associated Press and Reuters. It has a unique status in France that protects its independence, being neither a public company, nor a private entity. Its clients, including the French state, are represented on its board of directors.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding