US Secretary of State Antony Blinken insisted during a visit to Tokyo yesterday that ties with Japan were stronger than ever, days after US President Joe Biden blocked Nippon Steel’s takeover of US Steel.
Business groups say the move could have a chilling effect on Japan’s standing as the biggest foreign investor in the US, just as Washington seeks closer relations to counter China.
Two weeks before US president-elect Donald Trump takes office, and with Marco Rubio slated to replace Blinken, the top US diplomat recalled that he came to Japan on his first trip in 2021.
Photo: EPA-EFE
The visits at the beginning and end of his tenure show “the centrality of the US-Japan alliance” for Washington, Blinken told reporters after meeting Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba.
“As we look at the last four years, we’ve seen an alliance, a partnership, a friendship, that’s grown stronger than it’s ever been,” Blinken said.
He pointed to expanding security ties — including three-way partnerships with South Korea and the Philippines, and a four-way grouping with Australia and India.
“Our economies are extraordinarily intertwined. We are the largest investors in each other’s economies,” Blinken said.
Japanese firms invested almost US$800 billion in the US in 2023.
Blinken made no mention of Biden’s decision last week to block Nippon Steel’s US$14.9 billion takeover of long-struggling US Steel.
The two companies filed a lawsuit on Monday against the Biden administration’s “illegal interference” in the transaction.
“We’re certain the lawsuit will reveal a set of facts that clearly violate the constitution and the law, so I believe we have a chance of winning,” Nippon Steel CEO and chairman Eiji Hashimoto said yesterday.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding