Seventeen Taiwanese suspects accused of operating a telecom fraud ring in the Philippines were indicted after allegedly defrauding more than 100 victims in Taiwan of over NT$60 million (US$1.9 million), prosecutors said yesterday.
The New Taipei City District Prosecutors Office said the indictments were finalized on Monday, with prosecutors recommending a prison sentence of more than 25 years for the alleged ringleader, a man surnamed Chen (陳).
The remaining 16 defendants face recommended prison terms ranging from 10 years to more than 20 years, prosecutors said.
Photo: Taipei Times
According to investigators, the suspects were arrested last year in a joint operation by Taiwanese and Philippine law enforcement authorities targeting a scam operation in Cebu.
The suspects were deported from the Philippines to Taiwan in January and later detained and held incommunicado following questioning by prosecutors.
Prosecutors said the group allegedly established the scam operation in Cebu in April 2024 and used fake charity campaigns and online romance schemes to target victims in Taiwan.
Victims were allegedly instructed to transfer Tether cryptocurrency or cash into designated digital wallets and bank accounts, after which the funds were quickly moved to conceal the money trail.
Investigators said the case involved 112 victims and losses exceeding NT$60 million. The authorities also seized assets worth nearly NT$20 million that were linked to the suspects.
The defendants were charged with fraud, money laundering, organized crime offenses, and operating overseas fraud-related equipment, prosecutors said.
The prosecution also said some suspects continued to deny wrongdoing and were suspected of colluding with one another during the investigation, showing no remorse.
Given the scale of the fraud and the large financial losses involved, prosecutors said Chen should face a heavier sentence, especially as he had allegedly played a long-term leadership role in the operation.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not