A 40-year-old man is suspected of contracting hantavirus in Keelung after being bitten by a rat while cleaning his workplace on April 7 and developing symptoms including fever, chills and loss of appetite on May 2, the Keelung City Government said today.
The man who was hospitalized for treatment is recovering smoothly and expected to return to his home in New Taipei City soon, the city said.
The man’s workplace in Keelung has undergone thorough disinfection, with ongoing sanitation measures in place, Keelung Health Bureau Director Chang Hsien-cheng (張賢政) said.
Photo courtesy of the New Taipei City Department of Health
The rat that passed the infection has been captured, he added.
The man sought treatment after developing symptoms on May 2, Chang said.
The hospital reported the case to central authorities on May 8 and conducted relevant testing, he said, adding that preliminary results received yesterday suggest hantavirus infection.
The man’s workplace would continue sanitation efforts, including setting rat traps and testing captured rodents, while central authorities would oversee and release information from the epidemiological investigation, he said.
Eleven contacts of the man have been identified, none of whom have shown symptoms, the New Taipei City Department of Health said, adding that their health would be monitored until July 1.
The environment around the patient's residence in Linkou District (林口) was thoroughly cleaned and disinfected on Saturday, it added.
Hantavirus is not transmitted between people except in extremely rare cases, and hotspots such as drainage areas and Miaokou Night Market (廟口夜市) stalls have already been disinfected, Keelung Mayor George Hsieh (謝國樑) said, adding that people should not panic and hospitals should remain vigilant.
If people spot rats, they should not try to catch them, but instead call 1999 to notify the relevant rodent control authorities, the mayor said.
The Keelung Bureau of Environmental Protection thoroughly cleaned the area around Miaokou Night Market today and placed rodenticide after spotting rats on site, Hsieh said.
Additional reporting by CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not