The Taipei City Government said yesterday that inspections of 34 escape room venues had identified violations at 21 locations, including 12 with safety-related problems, following the death of an employee at one such business last week.
The inspections were conducted from Friday to Sunday by the city’s Department of Cultural Affairs and other relevant agencies at escape room venues in Taipei, which the department described as places where players complete tasks in enclosed spaces.
In a news release, the department said the inspections found that 12 businesses had fire safety or building safety violations, resulting in 15 fines totaling NT$1.04 million (US$32,899).
Photo: Taipei Times
The violations included fire doors that could not close properly, malfunctioning exit sign lights, a lack of residential fire alarms or fire extinguishers, and unauthorized interior renovations, according to the department.
The businesses fined were ordered to make improvements within two to 30 days, it added.
Another nine businesses were determined to have violated Taipei’s land-use zoning regulations and have been referred to the city’s Department of Urban Development for penalties, the cultural affairs department said.
The city launched the inspections after a 29-year-old female employee at the Xinyi branch of Rostart Games, an escape room business in Taipei, reportedly suffocated while role-playing as a hanged ghost on May 10 and died on May 15.
Following the incident, the two Rostart Games branches, including one in Songshan District (松山), were ordered to suspend operations.
Describing escape rooms as an “emerging industry,” the department said the inspections also looked at employees’ working conditions.
However, it did not say whether any problems related to employees’ working conditions had been found.
The department added that the city’s Department of Labor would continue its investigation and take action in accordance with the law if any labor law violations are found.
On Friday, the family of the deceased employee called on the judicial authorities to clarify the facts of the case, relevant government agencies to determine responsibility, and the industry to carry out reforms to prevent similar tragedies.
They also urged the city government to comprehensively review safety standards for escape rooms and immersive experience venues, and to establish clearer regulations.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a