A man was acquitted today by the High Court in a retrial of a 29-year-old attempted murder case.
Su Yao-hui (蘇耀輝) was previously convicted in the case stretching back to 1997, in which a husband and wife in New Taipei City’s Tucheng District (土城) were attacked by two men wielding machetes.
He was sentenced to eight years in prison.
Photo: Yang Hsin-hui, Taipei Times
However, in October last year, the High Court ordered a retrial after it found major errors in the polygraph examination and interpretation of its results, based on the testimony of a former investigator.
Prosecutors appealed the court’s decision, but the Supreme Court rejected the appeal in January.
Following the verdict, Su expressed his appreciation for his lawyers and the Taiwan Innocence Project, which provides pro-bono legal services to overturn wrongful convictions.
He said his name has finally been cleared after being wrongly accused for nearly three decades.
Following the conviction, Su said he became a fugitive and tried to prove his innocence, but received no assistance.
The previous conviction found that Su wore a full-face helmet and, together with an unidentified male accomplice, attacked a man surnamed Chan (詹) and his wife, surnamed Pan (潘), at their residence in Tucheng with a machete.
The couple told police that they had previously reported their neighbors over illegal structures and had been involved in related litigation, the court said.
They also gave police a description of the culprits’ appearance and build, later identifying Su from a lineup of photographs, it added.
The High Court said the conviction was based largely on the victims’ testimony and identification, adding that the police identification procedures at the time influenced their report.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not