The National Federation of Teachers’ Unions (NFTU) today said it would participate in the May Day labor march in Taipei on Friday, which for the first time is to be a universal day off for all workers, including teachers.
Following years of campaigning by teachers’ unions, the government finally amended regulations so teachers could also observe the national holiday, NFTU president Hou Chun-liang (侯俊良) said.
The change is symbolic and draws attention to teachers’ plight for better working conditions on par with other professions, he said.
Photo courtesy of the National Federation of Teachers’ Unions
Society should see the value of teachers and the difficult work they do, as it promotes this year’s #MayDayForAll social media campaign, the federation said.
What teachers need is not just one day off, but broader institutional reform and more comprehensive protections, Hou said.
As Taiwan’s birthrate declines, teachers are facing increasing challenges and added responsibilities, he said.
With more teachers choosing to switch professions, the education industry is losing its appeal, he added.
Only by improving working conditions and systemic issues would teachers be willing to remain in the profession long-term, Hou said.
Teachers’ unions are to hold a protest on Friday, starting at 12:30pm on Taipei’s Ketagalan Boulevard.
The group is to march along Jinan Road and end at the Legislative Yuan, the NFTU said.
This year, the campaign would focus on better retirement protections, demanding that the government fully fund the Public Service Pension Fund and return seniority compensation, it said.
It would also request that the government integrate public and private school pension plans, with a unified contribution rate of 15 percent, the federation said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a