Minister of Foreign Affairs Lin Chia-lung (林佳龍) returned to Taiwan early today after a brief visit to Eswatini as special envoy for President William Lai (賴清德), following the last-minute cancelation of Lai's planned trip to the African ally to attend celebrations for its king, reportedly due to Chinese pressure.
"We managed to overcome difficulties and accomplished the mission entrusted by the president," Lin told reporters at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport at about 6am.
Photo: Chu Pei-hsiung, Taipei Times
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Lin arrived in Eswatini — Taiwan's only diplomatic ally in Africa — on Saturday to attend events marking King Mswati III's 40th anniversary on the throne and his 58th birthday.
The ministry did not say how Lin reached Eswatini after Taiwan last week accused the Seychelles, Mauritius and Madagascar of denying overflight permits for Lai's aircraft.
A video released by the ministry showed Lin arriving aboard a Gulfstream G650ER private jet.
Taiwanese media, citing unnamed sources, reported that Lin first flew to a European country before chartering the jet for a nonstop flight to Eswatini, avoiding the three countries' airspace.
Asked for comment, ministry spokesperson Hsiao Kuang-wei (蕭光偉) declined to confirm Lin's itinerary, saying only that appropriate arrangements had been made.
Further details could not be disclosed due to security concerns, he added.
In a separate statement, the ministry said Lin also inspected several Taiwan-funded projects during the two-day visit, including the Aquaculture Research and Production Center, opened last year, and a smart outpatient clinic at Manzini Government Hospital built by Taiwan's medical mission.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a