Taiwan has spotted two Chinese warships operating in waters near Penghu County in the Taiwan Strait and has sent its own naval and air forces to keep watch, the Ministry of National Defense said yesterday.
While the ministry offers daily updates of the locations of Chinese military aircraft, it only rarely gives details of where Chinese warships are operating, generally only when it detects aircraft carriers, as happened last week.
Late last night, the ministry said a Chinese destroyer and a frigate had entered waters to the southwest of Penghu, home to major Taiwanese navy and air bases and close to the Taiwan side of the Strait.
Photo courtesy of the Ministry of National Defense
Taiwan's military "closely monitored the formation and responded appropriately using naval and air forces," the ministry added, without elaborating.
The ministry showed color pictures of both ships taken from the air, but did not give an exact location.
China's Ministry of National Defense did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
This morning, in its daily update of Chinese activities over the past 24 hours, the ministry said a total of nine Chinese warships were operating around the nation, with 22 military aircraft detected.
While it showed a map of where the Chinese aircraft were, mostly in the Strait and to the north and southwest of Taiwan, it did not provide any other information about the location of the warships.
Speaking to coast guard officers in Taipei today, President William Lai (賴清德) said China's "gray zone" operations — irregular tactics to exhaust a foe without resorting to open combat — and psychological pressure have grown day by day.
"They seek to manufacture a new normal that undermines the 'status quo,'" he added.
The abilities of the coast guard, which is on the front lines of monitoring Chinese activities in an auxiliary role to the navy, would be strengthened, Lai said.
That includes integrated sea-and-air surveillance capabilities, with an expanded deployment of drones, next-generation radar systems and infrared thermal imaging systems, he added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the