American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) Director Raymond Greene today pressed the opposition-majority legislature to pass a "comprehensive" defense budget, saying integrated air and missile defense systems and drones are critically important and in high demand globally.
President William Lai (賴清德) last year proposed US$40 billion in supplemental defense spending, covering not only new US weapons, but also homemade weapons such as drones.
However, talks in the Legislative Yuan to advance the proposal have stalled, with the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and Taiwan People's Party saying while they support defense spending, they would not sign "blank checks" and want more details from the government.
Photo: CNA
In an interview with the China Times, Greene said it was vital for Taiwan to pass a "comprehensive budget package."
"This would not only send a critical signal to the international community, but is also essential for ensuring Taiwan acquires the full range of defense capabilities it has requested," he said.
While the US has already announced the sale of weapons including the Lockheed Martin-made HIMARS multiple launch rocket system, Taiwan's special defense budget also seeks integrated air and missile defense systems and drones, among other things, Greene added.
"As evidenced on the battlefields of the Middle East and Ukraine, these systems are not only critically important, but are also in extremely high demand worldwide," Greene said.
The government has said delays to passing the budget could mean Taiwan risks losing its place in the production and delivery line for US weapons.
KMT Chairwoman Cheng Li-wun (鄭麗文), who met Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) in Beijing earlier this month on what she called a journey of peace, is planning to visit the US in June.
Taiwan should not have to choose between China and the US, but the world is worried about the possibility of war between China and Taiwan, she told a local radio show today.
"Who would be so foolish as to keep saying all day long that we have to choose between mainland China and the US?" she said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not