The Presidential Office yesterday denied a claim that President William Lai’s (賴清德) charter flight was never granted overflight permissions for his trip to Eswatini, calling the claim “rumor mongering.”
Lai was on Wednesday scheduled to leave for Eswatini, Taiwan’s sole diplomatic ally in Africa, but the trip was canceled after Seychelles, Mauritius and Madagascar abruptly rescinded overflight permissions for his chartered plane under “strong pressure” from China, Presidential Office Secretary-General Pan Men-an (潘孟安) said on Tuesday.
National Security Council Secretary-General Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) said that the government had obtained overflight clearance from all countries on the flight’s way to Eswatini, but the three island countries rescinded them without explanation “only in recent days.”
Photo: Taipei Times
However, a report by Mauritian newspaper L’Express cited an unnamed source as saying Mauritian authorities had not granted any authorization to Taiwan.
“Nothing would be done that could jeopardize Sino-Mauritian relations,” the newspaper quoted an adviser at the Mauritian prime minister’s office as saying.
Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) said the airline operating Lai’s charter flight had completed overflight permit procedures for Mauritius and other countries in the middle of the month.
Claims that the flight had not applied for or received such permissions are untrue, she said.
“If anyone deliberately uses the name of a third country pressured by Beijing to fabricate stories and distort the facts, that is highly inappropriate and clearly rumor-mongering,” she added.
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Chen Ming-chi (陳明祺) said Taiwan has established a long-term friendship with Eswatini and that diplomatic ties remain intact.
“The Chinese Communist Party has long leveraged neighboring countries and built influence in Africa, including by buying support. All of this makes our long- term friendship with Eswatini all the more valuable,” he said, adding that Taiwan has spared no effort in providing the southern African country with assistance.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the