The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) today said it has listed 54 contacts for health monitoring after a Japanese man tested positive for measles upon returning to Nagoya on a Starlux Airlines flight from Taipei.
CDC spokeswoman Tseng Shu-hui (曾淑慧) told reporters that the patient, a Japanese national in his 30s, flew from Taipei to Nagoya on Friday last week.
The CDC launched an investigation after Starlux proactively relayed the information from Japanese health authorities.
Photo: Wu Liang-yi, Taipei Times
The agency has identified 54 contacts from the flight, comprising 15 crew members and 39 passengers seated near the man.
The passenger contacts include 34 Taiwanese and five Japanese nationals, Tseng said.
Immigration records show that 21 of the 34 Taiwanese have already returned to Taiwan, while the remaining 13 have not yet re-entered the country or may have traveled to other destinations, she said.
Although all airline crew members are vaccinated against measles, the vaccines do not provide 100 percent immunity, Tseng said.
Therefore, the crew members have been asked to practice self-health management for 18 days, she said.
None of the crew members have shown any suspected symptoms so far, and would be monitored until May 5, she added.
As for the 21 Taiwanese contacts who have returned, the CDC said it has forwarded their information to the health departments of 11 cities and counties — Taipei, New Taipei City, Keelung, Taoyuan, Hsinchu, Miaoli County, Taichung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Yunlin County and Kaohsiung — for tracking and health education.
They would also be monitored until May 5, it added.
The CDC on Wednesday contacted its Japanese counterpart through the International Health Regulations framework to request the patient's case details and his travel history within Taiwan, Tseng said, adding that Japan has acknowledged the request and is currently gathering the information.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not