Taipei prosecutors today indicted former legislative assistant Chu Cheng-chi (朱政騏) on suspicion of selling confidential documents from the Legislative Yuan to China, and are seeking a minimum sentence of five years under the National Security Act (國家安全法).
Chu, who was expected to run for Taipei city councilor for the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) after winning a primary last month, was accused of entering lawmakers’ offices in August 2022 to obtain classified files and selling them for 20,000 yuan (US$2,910).
Prosecutors requested that the Taipei District Court confiscate all illegal gains.
Photo: Tian Yu-hua, Taipei Times
In July 2022, Chu obtained an iPhone from retired Cabinet official Hu Peng-nien (胡鵬年), prosecutors said.
In January, Hu was indicted for cooperating with the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) United Front Work Department to establish organizations in Taiwan.
On Aug. 23 and 24, 2022, Chu used his personal phone to convert sensitive documents to PDF files, then on Aug. 24 copied them to the iPhone obtained from Hu, prosecutors said.
The files were sent to a Chinese contact surnamed Wang (王), who transferred the 20,000 yuan to Chu, they said.
The case is part of a wider scheme by the United Front Work Department to attract active and retired military personnel and political figures to form organizations in Taiwan and obtain classified information, people familiar with the matter said.
The content of the documents and operational methods are still under investigation as prosecutors are tracing the chain of command, they said.
The DPP’s Taipei city chapter said that Chu has been expelled from the party and would not be nominated as a city council candidate, adding that it is not ruling out selecting replacement candidates based on primary polling results.
It has a “zero tolerance” policy regarding national security issues, the DPP said.
Meanwhile, Presidential Office Deputy Secretary-General Mark Ho (何志偉) said that Chu was once a local service associate, but had never served as his legislative assistant and would have had no access to sensitive documents via him.
He urged Chu to withdraw from the Taipei City Council election and cooperate with the judicial investigation.
Additional reporting by Liu Yong-yun, Chen Cheng-yu, He Yu-hua and Su Yong-yao
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not