The tabletop portion of Taiwan's largest annual military drills is to be held for 14 days for the second consecutive year, testing the country's all-out defense against China's increasing "gray zone" activities and Beijing’s potential to carry out a full-scale invasion.
The Han Kuang exercises are held annually in two stages.
This year's edition is to begin with tabletop war games, conducted from Saturday next week to April 24, Major General Tung Chi-hsing (董冀星), director of the Ministry of National Defense’s Joint Operations Planning Division told a news conference in Taipei today.
Photo: Peter Lo, Taipei Times
Last year was the first time the tabletop war games lasted two weeks. In 2024, they were held for eight days, while in previous years, the computerized exercises usually lasted five days.
The military last year said that the extension was intended to give the armed forces more time to test their response measures across different scenarios, including situations in which Chinese forces suddenly turn their drills into a full-scale invasion.
The computerized war games would again be conducted using the US-built Joint Theater Level Simulation platform and would be held around the clock to test the ability of the nation as a whole to coordinate and respond to a Chinese invasion, Tung said.
The war games would simulate a scenario in which the People's Liberation Army (PLA) unexpectedly turns military exercises or "gray zone" activities — provocative or aggressive actions that fall just short of open conflict — near Taiwan into a real attack, he said.
As with last year, the tabletop segment of the exercises would be unscripted to test troop emergency response capabilities, with a focus on responses under decentralized command and 24/7 operational conditions, Tung said.
The scenario would also test how the armed forces defend the country if the PLA attempted to seize ports and airports before advancing inland, he added.
In addition to defensive efforts by active-duty troops, the military would also mobilize reserve forces and work with the Central Joint Response Center to practice integrated military-civilian cooperation in repelling intruders, Tung said.
Tung did not announce when the live-fire segment of the 42nd Han Kuang exercises would be held or how long it would last.
Minister of National Defense Wellington Koo (顧立雄) earlier this year told reporters that the live-fire exercises, usually staged in the summer, would again run for 10 days and nine nights, as was the case last year.
The annual Han Kuang exercises, which have served as Taiwan's primary war games since 1984, aim to test the country's combat readiness in the face of a possible Chinese invasion.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not