The number of workers placed on formal unpaid leave programs in Taiwan in the first half of this month stood at about 3,800, with more than 70 percent affected by US tariffs on Taiwanese exports, according to the Ministry of Labor (MOL).
A total of 3,839 workers at 240 companies were furloughed as of Monday, Huang Chi-ya (黃琦雅), head of the ministry’s Department of Labor Standards and Equal Employment, said at a Taipei briefing. The figure compared with 3,770 workers at 247 firms on March 2.
Most were in the manufacturing sector.
Photo: Taipei Times
“A total of 184 companies, involving 2,804 workers, reported being affected by US tariffs, with those cases accounting for more than 70 percent of the overall total,” Huang added.
She said most newly reported furlough cases this month were still tied to changes in domestic or export orders, and companies had not indicated they were already being affected by the Section 301 investigation.
The investigation refers to probes launched by the US last Wednesday under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 into the manufacturing policies and practices of 16 trading partners, including Taiwan, citing concerns over excess capacity and overproduction.
Huang said companies in Taiwan had not reported furloughs linked to oil price fluctuations caused by military conflict in the Middle East.
“The war in the Middle East and the Section 301 investigations both arose over the past one to two weeks, so they have not yet been reflected in furlough figures,” she added.
Most enterprises implementing furlough programs in the first half of this month were small companies employing fewer than 50 people, and most programs were scheduled to last less than three months, according to ministry data.
The ministry updates its furloughed worker data on the 1st and 16th of every month and reports on the number of employees placed on furloughs registered by companies with the ministry.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the