Prosecutors today indicted 62 people and 13 companies for allegedly laundering more than NT$10.7 billion (US$336.58 million) in illicit funds through Taiwan.
The funds were linked to the Cambodia-based Prince Holding Group, which the US alleges is a front for a multibillion-US-dollar online fraud and money laundering operation.
Prince Holding Group founder, Chinese-born Cambodian Chen Zhi (陳志), is facing up to 13 years in prison, as prosecutors seek a maximum sentence.
Photo: CNA
He faces charges involving money laundering, conspiracy, gambling, document forgery and contraventions to the Business Entity Accounting Act (商業會計法).
The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office today completed its investigation that began on Oct. 15 last year, which entailed eight search operations and resulted in the detention of nine people.
A report by the Cambodian Ministry of Interior in January said that it had revoked Chen’s Cambodian citizenship the previous month and extradited him to China.
Although Chen’s whereabouts are unknown, the office said it moved to prosecute him regardless.
Chen allegedly ran forced labor scam compounds in Cambodia and an illegal gambling network.
Starting in 2016, he worked with a number of companies in Taiwan to establish a money laundering network, prosecutors said.
He set up a total of 250 companies across 18 countries, and held 453 international bank accounts, they added.
US federal prosecutors indicted Chen and his associates on Oct. 8, while the US Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) on Oct. 14 named Prince Holding’s nine shell companies and three Taiwanese nationals as Specially Designated Nationals.
If convicted in the US, Chen faces a 40-year prison sentence, while US authorities have seized about 127,000 bitcoin currently valued at more than US$11 billion.
Meanwhile, Taiwanese prosecutors said they have seized more than NT$5.5 billion in assets, including NT$55 million worth of designer goods and cash, NT$447 million from 337 bank accounts and 24 real-estate properties worth NT$3.98 billion.
The office also seized 35 luxury cars worth NT$1.1 billion, 24 of which have since been auctioned for a total of NT$436.62 million.
Prosecutors added they are seeking a 20-year prison sentence and an NT$250 million fine for Chen’s alleged accomplice, Li Tian (李添), while for two Singaporean nationals, it is seeking sentences of 18 years with an NT$150 million fine and 12 years with an NT$100 million fine respectively.
Prosecutors are requesting prison terms of between six and 16 years for the other defendants.
"To conceal and disguise criminal proceeds, they exploited Taiwanese to carry out money-laundering activities in Taiwan through online gambling and underground remittances," the office said.
"This not only seriously disrupted Taiwan's financial order and social stability, but also damaged Taiwan's international image," it added.
Additional reporting by Reuters
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not