The Administration for Cybersecurity yesterday issued cybersecurity and privacy guidelines for Taiwanese who plan to travel to China during the Lunar New Year holiday.
National security legislation passed by Beijing in the past decade and the prevalence of surveillance tools in the country have made using electronics, and connecting to networks and USB ports, in China unsafe, the agency said in a statement.
Travelers are advised to use a domestic service provider for cellphone data roaming and enable data encryption instead of Chinese SIM cards or eSIM services, it said.
Photo: Reuters
Government workers should keep their devices on flight mode and only engage data roaming when absolutely necessary to avoid being tracked by GPS or their device’s International Mobile Equipment Identity number, it said.
Travelers should avoid using public Wi-Fi, which can be unsecure and are often vulnerable to cyberattacks, it said.
Chinese SIM cards and eSIM services should be avoided as real-name registration enables Chinese security services to monitor users’ social media posts, texts and whereabouts, the agency said.
It recommended that Taiwanese visiting China prepare their own power banks, as public USB chargers are often infected by malware.
Government workers should ensure that no work-related information is stored on their personal devices and reset any cellphone, laptop or computer that had been left unattended or inspected by Chinese officials, the agency said.
In addition, they should not use devices in China to work or communicate with work-related contacts, it said.
Taiwanese should not download any applications deployed in China, as they could access the device’s built-in camera and microphone to surveil the user, the agency said, adding that installing Chinese apps on government devices is forbidden by law.
People should not purchase Chinese devices in general, or buy any devices in China, as they could be compromised by backdoors and malware before being packaged for sale, it said.
Taiwanese should take the cybersecurity risks into consideration before deciding to travel to China, and government workers must follow official cybersecurity guidelines, it added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a