A labor broker has been fined more than NT$10 million (US$318,000) for illegally charging migrant workers job-placement fees, the highest penalty ever imposed in such a case, the Ministry of Labor said yesterday.
The broker illegally charged “multiple” migrant workers job-placement fees, over-collecting about NT$1 million in total under the guise of end-of-contract transfer or contract renewal fees, ministry official Su Yu-kuo (蘇裕國) told a news conference in Taipei.
“Because the illegal conduct was clear-cut, the local government imposed the [more than NT$10 million] penalty,” Su said, adding that under the Employment Service Act (就業服務法), brokers are allowed to charge employers registration and placement fees, while migrant workers can only be charged service fees.
Photo: Lee Ching-huei, Taipei Times
Under current regulations, service fees are the only charges brokers are legally allowed to collect from migrant workers, capped at NT$1,800 per month in the first year after a worker’s arrival in Taiwan, NT$1,700 in the second year and NT$1,500 from the third year onward.
Charging migrant workers job-placement fees, known locally as “job-buying fees,” falls outside the items permitted under the law, he said.
In addition to the fine, Su said the ministry would also impose a business suspension of up to one year on the broker in accordance with the act.
Asked for further details, Su declined to say how many migrant workers were affected or their nationalities, and did not identify the broker or say whether it had a prior record of violations.
By searching the Workforce Development Agency database of private employment service institutions, CNA found that a Taichung-based broker was fined NT$12.7 million by the Taoyuan City Government on Nov. 25 for a violation that appeared to match the case described by Su.
Su gave no clear answer when asked whether the more than NT$1 million in over-collected fees had been refunded, saying he would “need to look into that detail.”
The ministry official said the ministry launched an investigation into the broker after receiving complaints from a civic group alleging the company had illegally charged migrant workers fees.
He did not provide details on when the complaints were filed, how long the investigation took or when enforcement action was taken, saying only that the case occurred “in recent months” in response to CNA’s questions.
So far this year, 10 brokers have been found to have illegally overcharged migrant workers and been fined by local governments, Su said.
He added that the authorities have conducted more than 2,200 inspections targeting such violations this year and plan to carry out 2,500 inspections next year.
Urging brokers to comply with the law, Su also said migrant workers who are asked to pay job-placement fees when seeking to switch employers should call the ministry’s 1955 Hotline for advice or to file a complaint.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not