The Executive Yuan today advanced a NT$1.25-trillion (US$39.9 billion) special defense budget plan announced by President William Lai (賴清德) yesterday, explicitly citing “military threats from the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)” for the first time.
Article 1 of the bill states that the law is being enacted to counter the sustained growth of the CCP’s military threats by acquiring weapons and equipment that would enhance the armed forces’ defensive resilience and asymmetric capabilities.
This would include building a “Taiwan dome,” an air defense system with high-level detection and interception capabilities, using high-tech systems and artificial intelligence to speed up the kill chain, and building a "non-red" supply chain by investing in the national defense industry, the Ministry of National Defense said.
Photo: George Tsorng, Taipei Times
The bill lists seven major procurement categories: precision artillery; long-range precision-strike missiles; unmanned vehicles and counter-unmanned systems; air-defense, anti-ballistic missile and anti-armor missile systems; artificial intelligence-assisted command, control, communications, computers, combat systems, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (C5ISR) systems; equipment to enhance sustained combat endurance and equipment; and systems jointly developed or procured with the US.
Taiwan should strengthen its resolve and capacity for self-defense to counter China’s military expansion, Minister of National Defense Wellington Koo (顧立雄) told a press conference this morning.
The total spending is to be funded through special budgets and not to be subject to Article 23 of the Budget Act (預算法) that restricts the use of capital for recurrent expenditures, according to the bill.
Required funding may be drawn from prior-year budget surpluses or raised through borrowing, with annual borrowing limits exempted from restrictions under Article 5-7 of the Public Debt Act (公共債務法).
The special ordinance and special budgets are to take effect on the date of promulgation and remain in force until Dec. 31, 2033.
If any contracted programs remain unexecuted by that date, the Executive Yuan may approve limited extensions solely for contract fulfillment and final payment phases, while no new procurement items may be added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a