The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has ordered a recall of 410,000 cans of the popular Japanese indigestion medicine Ohta’s Isan after discrepancies were found between its Chinese and Japanese ingredient labels.
Thirty-seven batches across three product sizes are being recalled by Sept. 18, after a consumer reported that the Japanese labeling of active ingredients on the outer packaging did not match the approved Chinese version, the FDA said yesterday.
The affected batches include 16 batches of the 75g product, 16 batches of the 140g product, and five batches of the 210g product, the agency said.
Photo: Screen grab from Ohta’s Isan’s Web site
FDA official Yang Po-wen (楊博文) said the product, imported by Yuo Shiang Industrial Co, is an over-the-counter drug approved with Chinese labeling.
Because the Japanese labeling was inconsistent, the FDA ordered a recall.
The distributor must complete the recall and submit a corrective report by Sept. 18, or face fines of NT$200,000 to NT$5 million (US$6,547 to US$163,642) under the Pharmaceutical Affairs Act (藥事法), Yang said.
In addition, the labeling inconsistency may constitute a contravention of Article 46 of the act, punishable by fines of NT$30,000 to NT$2 million, he said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a