Taiwan authorities reported one person missing, 112 injured and 8,024 evacuated in the wake of Typhoon Podul, which swept across the country yesterday afternoon, according to a 10:01pm update from the Central Emergency Operation Center (CEOC).
The missing person is a 28-year-old man surnamed Lin (林), who is believed to have been swept out to sea in Chiayi County's Budai Township in southern Taiwan at around 1pm while fishing, according to the CEOC.
After search operations yesterday were hampered by strong winds and heavy swells generated by the typhoon, rescuers will consider deploying helicopters and dispatching vessels to continue the search today, depending on the weather, the CEOC said.
Photo courtesy of Pingtung police
The number of people injured rose from 33 in a 7:31pm update to 112 in the 10:01pm update.
In terms of power outages, 292,334 households across the country had experienced blackouts as of 10:01pm, with 249,657 restored and 42,677 still without electricity, according to the CEOC.
As of 10:01pm, a total of 8,024 people had been evacuated across eight cities and counties, including Tainan, Kaohsiung, and Pingtung, Hualien and Taitung counties, most of whom were staying with relatives, the CEOC said.
After the typhoon made landfall in neighboring Taitung County at around 1pm, Taiwan's southernmost county of Pingtung saw rainfall intensify through the afternoon, with Dahanshan weather station in Chunri Township recording 446 millimeters between midnight and 6:30pm, the highest nationwide.
Heavy rain brought by the typhoon caused flooding in several parts of the county, including the intersection of Zhongzheng Road and County Highway 185 in Fangliao Township, where nearby houses were flooded.
Some roads in Hengchun Township, a popular tourist destination that includes Kenting National Park, were also flooded.
In anticipation of possible disasters, the county government ordered preemptive evacuations in mountainous areas, moving 1,129 residents from townships including Wutai, Sandimen and Taiwu.
As of 6:45pm, 647 evacuees were staying with relatives, while 482 were housed in shelters, the county government said.
In Tainan, the southern city where the typhoon exited Taiwan at around 4pm, the local government also ordered preemptive evacuations, relocating 619 people from 15 districts.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a