Employment support would be expanded to six additional industries, with workers on reduced hours eligible to receive up to NT$12,100 per month, the Ministry of Labor announced today.
The policy is to be effective retroactively from Aug. 1.
Changes in the global economy, such as US tariffs and the New Taiwan dollar’s exchange rate, are projected to impact up to 42,000 employees nationwide, the ministry said.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
The ministry in March launched employment stabilization measures for three sectors: rubber products, machinery and equipment, and other transportation or parts manufacturing, Minister of Labor Hung Sun-han (洪申翰) said.
These measures have now been expanded to include workers in six new industries: food production, textiles, plastic production, metal manufacturing, electrical equipment manufacturing and auto parts production, Hung said.
Additionally, the ministry raised the subsidy rate for lost wages from 50 to 70 percent at a maximum of NT$12,100 per month, which can be combined with financial support from the ministry’s “Recharge Program for Workers” that provides skills training for employees who are furloughed or whose hours have been reduced, Hung said.
For example, a worker whose hours were cut and monthly salary fell from NT$45,800 to the minimum wage of NT$28,590 could totally avoid losing their total income through a combination of labor subsidies, the ministry said.
The wage subsidy program could provide up to NT$12,100, and if the employee chooses to participate in the recharge skills training program, its training allowance could provide the remaining NT$5,110, it said.
Employment insurance data from the ministry show that the nine covered industries have a combined 1.05 million insured workers.
Not every worker would face reduced hours and not all companies export to the US, Hung said, adding that only 2,761 workers currently have reduced hours.
To be eligible for the program, employees in the designated industries must have agreed with their employers to reduce working hours for at least 30 days and registered their case with the local labor authorities.
Employees must apply within 90 days of a 30-day period of reduced hours, either online or through a local Workforce Development Agency office.
Accepted applicants can claim subsidies for up to six months.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not