A 46-year-old man, surnamed Hsieh (謝), was transferred to the New Taipei District Court Prosecutors’ Office for further questioning yesterday, after allegedly killing his wife and sister-in-law in New Taipei City’s Tucheng District (土城) on Monday.
The man, who has a criminal record of domestic abuse, allegedly rammed his car into his 42-year-old wife and her 33-year-old younger sister, both surnamed Chang (張), before stabbing the two to death on Section 2 of Mingde Road at about 11am on Monday morning.
Hsieh was allegedly unhappy that his wife had applied for a restraining order against him in May.
Photo: Hsu Sheng-lun, Taipei Times
Upon his arrest, Hsieh wept and said he had a mental illness, but police suspect the killings were premeditated, as he reportedly purchased the murder weapons the day before the incident.
Hsieh has a record of multiple domestic abuse incidents from 2023, police said.
His wife applied for a temporary restraining order against Hsieh in May, which was granted on June 25 following a domestic abuse incident and prevented him from seeing his two daughters.
Hsieh has been unemployed for some time and returned to his hometown in Pingtung County after the restraining order was issued, but he returned to New Taipei for a court hearing, investigators said.
Hsieh allegedly broke the conditions of the restraining order on Saturday, going to his wife’s residence to collect his personal belongings, during which he had an argument with her.
As Hsieh began shouting and throwing things, she called the police, who apprehended Hsieh for breaking the conditions of the restraining order.
The New Taipei City District Prosecutors’ Office granted Hsieh bail on Sunday.
The husband and wife appeared in family court at the New Taipei City District Court on Monday morning, after which the Chang sisters returned home by scooter.
Hsieh followed the pair back to his wife’s residence and allegedly rammed his car into their scooter, then got out of the car with a knife and a metal baton and allegedly stabbed the two to death on the street, police said. Both sisters died.
After the incident, Hsieh wrote on Facebook that he had killed his wife and her sister, saying he was giving a “friendly heads-up” and notifying his brother-in-law to go to the hospital, adding: “I have already killed your wife.”
Hsieh fled the scene by car, exited the highway at the Hemei Interchange (和美) in Changhua County, and turned himself in at the nearest police station, the Shengang Police Station, where he was detained at 1:25pm yesterday afternoon.
As Hsieh initially fled the scene of the incident, he did not meet the conditions for voluntary surrender or a reduced sentence.
Taipei Women’s Rescue Foundation Executive Director Tu Ying-chiu (杜瑛秋) said that police are unable to provide round-the-clock protection, so after placing a restraining order, people under threat should remain vigilant at all times, report to police if they notice any stalking or harassing behavior and apply for free services available at women’s shelters.
New Taipei’s Department of Social Welfare said it received a report of domestic violence regarding the couple in May and had been providing assistance.
It would fully cooperate with the prosecutors’ investigation and provide support to the family, it added.
Additional reporting by Wu Jen-chieh, Hsu Sheng-lun
and CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not