Cambodia deported Taiwanese fraud suspects to China yesterday and today, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, expressing serious concern and urging Cambodian authorities to provide a full list of the Taiwanese suspects deported.
About 180 Taiwanese were arrested together with seven alleged Chinese coconspirators on March 31 during a round of raids on an online telecommunications fraud center in Phnom Penh.
Cambodian authorities deported nearly 190 suspects to China in three groups last night and early this morning, the ministry said today.
Photo: Lu Yi-hsuan, Taipei Times
After receiving notification of the arrests on April 1, Taiwan’s representative office in Ho Chi Minh City began negotiating with the Cambodian government, the ministry said.
The office requested that Cambodian authorities provide a complete list of names of the Taiwanese suspects and deport them to Taiwan to face legal consequences in accordance with international norms, it said.
Despite these requests, the Cambodian government has yet to provide a complete list or specific number of suspects, the ministry said.
The ministry expressed serious regret over the Cambodian government’s compliance with China, disregard for international norms and failure to respect the will of the Taiwanese involved.
The ministry has instructed Taiwan’s representative office in Ho Chi Minh City to formally convey Taiwan’s strong protest to these actions, it said.
The ministry consulted with relevant agencies including the Mainland Affairs Council, hoping to utilize the Cross-Strait Joint Crime-Fighting and Judicial Mutual Assistance Agreement (海峽兩岸共同打擊犯罪及司法互助協議) to request the suspects’ return, it said.
The ministry urged Taiwanese not to engage in illegal activities such as telecom fraud overseas to avoid breaching local laws and being imprisoned abroad.
Relevant agencies would continue working with other countries to strengthen efforts in combating transnational crime, the ministry said.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has
Carrefour Taiwan is to begin using a new name from the start of July, but it cannot divulge the name until then, the chairman of the supermarket chain's parent company said today. President Chain Store Co chairman Lo Chih-hsien (羅智先) was asked by reporters after a shareholders' meeting to confirm whether the company has settled on a new name for the supermarket brand. In March, the government-registered name of two Carrefour Taiwan branches was quietly changed to "Le Chia Kang" (樂家康) in Chinese, raising speculation that has been selected as the name. Lo said that because of local regulations and contractual obligations, the