The Hsinchu District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday said it has carried out what it called the largest ketamine bust in the nation’s law enforcement history after confiscating tonnes of illegal substances from a fishing boat near the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Islands, 東沙群島).
On Friday last week, Hsinchu prosecutor Sheng Yu-chih (沈郁智), leading a task force of coast guards, military police and the Hsinchu Police Department, found 52 sacks of drugs after raiding the Taiwan-flagged vessel Maan Ruby Fuh.
Officers seized 1.6 tonnes of ketamine and 22.5kg of amphetamines, inclusive of packaging material, the office said, adding that the substances had a street value of at least NT$2 billion (US$60.99 million).
Photo: Huang Mei-chu, Taipei Times
The Hsinchu District Court on Friday authorized prosecutors to detain a man surnamed Chen (陳), who was the ship’s captain, and two Indonesian nationals under his employ with restrictions on their communications to prevent collusion, court documents showed.
According to the office, Hsinchu police and coast guard personnel separately obtained intelligence suggesting that Chen, who was convicted 12 years ago of cigarette smuggling, allegedly planned to traffic drugs into the country.
The office assigned the case to Sheng, whose investigation revealed that Chen allegedly intended to transport an unprecedented amount of drugs and cut deals with buyers from across Taiwan, it said.
The Hsinchu Military Police Command and Taichung Police Bureau’s Wujih Precinct were brought into the task force due to the purported smuggling operation’s unexpectedly large scope, the office said.
Investigators further found the boat’s transponder had not been turned on for more than six months.
When the boat abruptly reappeared near the Pratas Islands, Sheng ordered a team to board and inspect the vessel, resulting in the discovery of the narcotics in its hold, the office said.
Rough sea conditions stranded the trawler and the officers in the water until Thursday, when the substances were unloaded and weighed at Hsinchu Fishing Port, it said.
Chen’s drug suppliers appeared to possess some level of organization, as they allegedly packed the narcotics in tea bags bearing markings that seemingly denoted the quality of the substances they contained, the office said.
Police are directing the inquiry toward identifying the organizations or people who placed orders for the drugs, it said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not