Businesses operating at Taipei government agencies, schools and city venues run by outside contractors would be required to charge for disposable tableware, including cutlery and containers, starting from July 22.
A fee of at least NT$1 would be charged for each disposable container, plate, set of chopsticks or spoon in the approximately 280 designated venues, the city government said in a statement yesterday.
Photo: Chen En-hui, Taipei Times
It estimated that the measure is to cut the use of disposable tableware items by 27 million pieces per year.
The Taipei Department of Environmental Protection said the restriction would be carried out in stages, starting with public spaces and then moving to private operators of food services, to comply with a city ordinance passed in July last year on net-zero emissions management.
The city began in 2020 to charge fees for and recycle disposable tableware at 119 of the city venues run by contractors that provide such services, the department said.
Many public and private operators have joined in the initiative, and by strengthening plastic and waste-reducing policies, the city hopes people would be encouraged to prepare their own cutlery and containers, it said.
The department previously promoted restrictions on the use of melamine resin tableware in 2016.
As of last year, a total of 902 venues, including 38 markets, 13 night markets, 29 universities, 27 central government agencies, 119 outsourced venues, 53 department stores, 16 wholesale markets and 607 firms, have joined in, the department said.
Melamine is not heat-resistant and releases harmful chemicals when heated, the city said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not