The Ministry of National Defense (MND) yesterday pledged to study the recommendations of a human rights commission following the prosecution of a man who refused to show up for reserve duty after becoming a Jehovah’s Witness.
The ministry’s comments came in response to a report the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) published on Thursday on the issue of people being prosecuted for refusing such call-ups on religious grounds.
The commission said its investigation had been prompted by a man, identified by the pseudonym “A,” who was baptized as a Jehovah’s Witness sometime after completing his mandatory military service.
Photo courtesy of the Ministry of National Defense
In keeping with that denomination’s opposition to military service, “A” failed to show up when he was called for reserve duty — an act for which he was later prosecuted.
In his trial, “A” was initially sentenced to two months in prison, but the penalty was ultimately suspended for two years on appeal, according to the report.
“A,” nevertheless, argued that Taiwan’s conscription regulations violate the Constitution and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which the legislature ratified in 2009.
He filed a complaint to the NHRC in February 2023, prompting the commission to launch an investigation last year that culminated in the report published on Thursday.
In its recommendations, the commission said that while Taiwan has an alternative service option for military conscripts, it lacks such a program for people serving in reserve duty.
To protect the religious freedom of reserve soldiers, the ministry should create a “non-military” reserve duty option for conscientious objectors, as well as a program for reviewing the validity of such claims, the commission said.
A ministry spokesperson yesterday said that the ministry “respects” freedom of religious beliefs and personal conscience, and handles the recruitment of reserve soldiers in accordance with the law.
“Considering that national security is the common responsibility of all citizens, the MND will carefully consider relevant suggestions on balancing national security and personal rights and interests,” the ministry said.
In Taiwan, men are typically called up for reserve duty for 5 to 7 days every year, or 14 days every two years, in the 12 years after completing their mandatory military service.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not