The Supreme Court on Wednesday denied an appeal brought by a married couple convicted of corruption for their failed attempt to extort fast food restaurant chain McDonald’s in 2017.
The couple, a man surnamed Tsai (蔡), and his wife, surnamed Huang (黃), was found guilty of attempted extortion under the Criminal Code for seeking NT$70.6 million (US$2.14 million) in compensation after their son broke his arm at a McDonald’s restaurant in New Taipei City’s Tucheng District (土城), in a ruling by the Taoyuan District Court in February 2021.
After they were both sentenced to one year and two months in prison, the Taoyuan District Prosecutors’ Office, which had indicted the couple on corruption charges, appealed the district court’s ruling.
Photo: Chang Wen-chuan, Taipei Times
The High Court convicted them in July 2023 of contravening the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例), because the couple was found to have abused their positions when working at the New Taipei City Fire Department in their extortion attempt.
Tsai and Huang were sentenced to six years and six months, and five years and two months in prison respectively.
The Supreme Court ruling was final.
According to court documents, the couple tried to extort the money to cover investment losses they had incurred, despite the medical bills for their son only totaling NT$6,703.
The couple’s attempt to extort McDonald’s came to light in the summer of 2017 after the chain reported to the Criminal Investigation Bureau the threats the couple made in their discussions about compensation.
The couple compiled information about McDonald’s restaurants in Taiwan from a government database and threatened the chain that they would make the information public, court documents showed.
Several McDonald’s restaurants were then notified by local governments about upcoming inspections, leading to the chain’s decision to contact the authorities.
The couple was questioned by prosecutors in July 2017 and indicted in September of that year.
The inspection equipment and data transmission system for new robotic dogs that Taipei is planning to use for sidewalk patrols were developed by a Taiwanese company, the city’s New Construction Office said today, dismissing concerns that the China-made robots could pose a security risk. The city is bringing in smart robotic dogs to help with sidewalk inspections, Taipei Deputy Mayor Lee Ssu-chuan (李四川) said on Facebook. Equipped with a panoramic surveillance system, the robots would be able to automatically flag problems and easily navigate narrow sidewalks, making inspections faster and more accurate, Lee said. By collecting more accurate data, they would help Taipei
TAKING STOCK: The USMC is rebuilding a once-abandoned airfield in Palau to support large-scale ground operations as China’s missile range grows, Naval News reported The US Marine Corps (USMC) is considering new sites for stockpiling equipment in the West Pacific to harden military supply chains and enhance mobility across the Indo-Pacific region, US-based Naval News reported on Saturday. The proposed sites in Palau — one of Taiwan’s diplomatic allies — and Australia would enable a “rapid standup of stored equipment within a year” of the program’s approval, the report said, citing documents published by the USMC last month. In Palau, the service is rebuilding a formerly abandoned World War II-era airfield and establishing ancillary structures to support large-scale ground operations “as China’s missile range and magazine
A 72-year-old man in Kaohsiung was sentenced to 40 days in jail after he was found having sex with a 67-year-old woman under a slide in a public park on Sunday afternoon. At 3pm on Sunday, a mother surnamed Liang (梁) was with her child at a neighborhood park when they found the man, surnamed Tsai (蔡), and woman, surnamed Huang (黃), underneath the slide. Liang took her child away from the scene, took photographs of the two and called the police, who arrived and arrested the couple. During questioning, Tsai told police that he had met Huang that day and offered to
A British man was arrested for attempting to smuggle 14.37kg of marijuana into Taiwan through Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Taipei Customs said late yesterday. The man, who arrived from Bangkok at 9pm on Friday, was asked by customs officers to open his luggage during a random inspection, Taipei Customs said in a news release. The passenger, whose identity was not disclosed, refused to open his suitcase and tried to flee the restricted area. He was eventually subdued by three customs officials and an Aviation Police Bureau officer. A later search of his checked luggage uncovered 14.37kg of marijuana buds. The case was handed over