Equipment and environmental reasons, not human error, were to blame for the loss of three submariners on Dec. 21 last year, the navy said yesterday.
The navy would not punish any of the Hai Hu’s (海虎) crew after an investigation determined that the captain was correct in sending crew to retrieve a safety buoy, it said in a news release.
Three crew members — a master chief petty officer surnamed Lin (林) and two petty officers surnamed Yen (顏) and Chang (張) — are still unaccounted for after being swept from the submarine’s deck by a wave while trying to retrieve the buoy.
Photo: CNA
The navy’s statement came after retired navy Captain Wang Jyh-perng (王志鵬) called for the captain of the Hai Hu to be punished.
In a report published by the Chinese-language United Daily News, Wang said that the Hai Hu’s captain had made the “wrong decision” in attempting to retrieve the safety buoy and should be held responsible for the loss of the three crew members.
However, the navy said the captain of the Hai Hu made the correct decision based on the “maintenance implementation measures,” which call for regular checks of the submarine’s equipment.
After an initial probe, the navy said that sudden waves and deformed buckles tethering crew members to the deck were likely to blame.
At about noon on Dec. 21, while the submarine was operating below the ocean’s surface, the Hai Hu’s crew heard “abnormal sounds” coming from the rear of the vessel, which they eventually identified as coming from a safety buoy, Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral Wu Li-ping (吳立平) said on Dec. 26.
The buoy was floating outside the submarine after the wooden cover of its compartment in the vessel fell off for reasons the navy has yet to determine.
Fearing that the 300m steel cable the buoy was attached to could damage the submarine’s propeller, the captain brought the submarine to the surface and sent four crew members, who were all wearing life jackets and were tethered to the deck by safety harnesses, to the ship’s deck to recover the buoy, Wu said.
Two of those on the deck were swept into the ocean because the buckles connecting their harnesses to the line were contorting under the stress of the weather conditions and came loose, Wu said.
A third crew member who was also swept off the deck was rescued, as his safety buckle was functioning properly, Wu said.
After hearing that crew members had fallen overboard, the ship’s weapons systems chief went onto the deck, but also fell into the sea, Wu said, adding that he was quickly saved.
The captain then sent six rescue team members to save the two crew members who had gone missing.
One of the six was thrown overboard by a rogue wave and went missing, Wu said.
The three missing crew members have yet to be located, despite the navy sending vessels out more than 1,500 times and aircraft out more than 600 times on search-and-rescue missions.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not