A Nantou County couple on Saturday took their wedding photographs in front of a “garbage mountain” to raise awareness of waste management problems in the mountainous central county.
The couple posed in wedding attire in front of the temporary trash storage site operated by sanitation services in Puli Township (埔里), one of several locations in the county where garbage has been piling up in the past few years due to a lack of an incinerator and insufficient landfill space.
The bride-to-be, surnamed Hsueh (薛), wrote on Facebook that the photographer thought she was joking when she proposed taking the photos in front of the garbage heap.
Photo courtesy of Puli Township Sanitation crew
Their driver said it was the first time he had heard such a request in his more than 30 years of shuttling couples to wedding shoots, she wrote.
Despite the “strong odor” at the trash dump, Hsueh said she hoped the photos would bring attention to the issue of excess waste, and would encourage people to create less garbage and help keep Taiwan beautiful.
Nantou Environmental Protection Bureau Director Lee Yi-shu (李易書) yesterday said that multiple townships in Nantou do not have landfills or permanent facilities for garbage.
While the bureau has arranged for some of the trash to be moved to other regions, it would only account for a small portion of the waste generated in Nantou each day, Lee said.
To truly resolve the issue and get its “garbage mountain” removed, Puli Township needs to designate space for a permanent landfill, he said.
Earlier this year, the bureau said that about 240,000 tonnes of garbage had piled up at temporary storage sites around the county, with the largest by volume in Caotun Township (草屯).
With a population of 477,000, Nantou produces about 2.62 million tonnes of garbage each day, it said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a