Taiwan is to work with Swiss children’s rights group Terre des Hommes to help Kenya fight its worst drought in 40 years, the International Cooperation and Development Fund (ICDF) said yesterday.
The fund is to launch the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) program in vulnerable communities in Garissa, Kenya, with the Swiss organization on Sunday, ICDF secretary-general Li Chao-cheng (李朝成) said at a press briefing.
Having faced five consecutive rainy seasons with below-average rainfall, east Africa has since 2020 been facing its worst drought in more than 40 years, Li said.
Photo: Reuters
In Kenya, the drought is affecting a vast area, with about 6.4 million people in need of humanitarian assistance — the most in the past 10 years, he said.
The drought has caused food shortages and sharp reductions in people’s incomes, as well as had a devastating impact on the safety and sanitation of local water sources, he said.
The program aims to help local health institutions improve water supply, sanitation, waste management and environmental cleaning to meet the international standards set by the WHO and UNICEF, he said.
The program is to assist with the construction, repair or improvement of WASH-related facilities at 10 local health institutions, and establish facility operation and maintenance practices, he said.
The institutions are to be provided with maintenance tools and equipment, and their staff members are to receive WASH training, he added.
It is hoped that the institutions can improve their WASH facilities and properly implement infection prevention and control to reduce the risk of vulnerable patients becoming infected or developing more severe illness, he said.
It is the first development-oriented humanitarian aid program created by the fund to tackle long-term humanitarian crises such as climate change, aiming to reduce vulnerability by tackling long-existing structural problems, he added.
In other developments, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is to work with the Chinese International Economic Cooperation Association to send economic and business missions to the Middle East, South America and Africa to strengthen economic and trade cooperation, as well as supply chain partnerships, Department of International Cooperation and Economic Affairs Director-General Vivian Lien (連玉蘋) said yesterday.
The missions are to travel to Paraguay, Argentina, Egypt, Jordan and Somaliland in the next two months to seek business opportunities and promote investment through trade shows and one-on-one trade negotiations, she said.
Key industries of focus during the trips would include smart healthcare, logistics, food and agricultural products, textile processing, and jewelry and accessories, she said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not