The Keelung Police Bureau on Wednesday announced penalties for 13 officers in its Third Precinct after confirming that eight of them recently attended a birthday celebration for a local gang leader.
In the early hours of Tuesday, a member of the public posted a video on a public Facebook group allegedly showing Keelung police officers at a birthday party for the Cidu District (七堵) head of the Heavenly Way Alliance’s (天道盟) Taiyang Hui gang.
The Keelung Police Bureau launched an investigation into the allegations later that morning, and announced that it had imposed penalties on eight officers who attended the event, and five senior officers in the precinct.
A sergeant in the Third Precinct’s criminal investigation division, surnamed Cheng (鄭), had invited seven other officers to the gathering at a restaurant in Keelung’s Nuannuan District (暖暖) on the evening of Friday last week, the bureau said in a statement.
While Cheng did report the matter in advance, he falsely said the purpose of his visit was to “consult” with the gang leader, it said.
For submitting a false report, as well as “severely” harming the reputation of the police when the video was disseminated, Cheng received two demerits on his employment record and was demoted.
Meanwhile, the seven other officers who attended the event also faced disciplinary measures for failing to make proper reports and not following police guidelines on interactions with “designated individuals,” it said.
They received varying punishments, including demotion, demerits on their records and being assigned to desk duty, the statement said.
Five other police officials, including the Third Precinct chief, deputy chief and investigative division captain, received official reprimands or demerits for poor oversight and insufficient internal controls, it said.
Keelung Mayor Hsieh Kuo-liang (謝國樑) said he expects all public servants, including police officers, to exercise better discretion and hold themselves to higher standards on matters pertaining to organized crime.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has
Carrefour Taiwan is to begin using a new name from the start of July, but it cannot divulge the name until then, the chairman of the supermarket chain's parent company said today. President Chain Store Co chairman Lo Chih-hsien (羅智先) was asked by reporters after a shareholders' meeting to confirm whether the company has settled on a new name for the supermarket brand. In March, the government-registered name of two Carrefour Taiwan branches was quietly changed to "Le Chia Kang" (樂家康) in Chinese, raising speculation that has been selected as the name. Lo said that because of local regulations and contractual obligations, the