Taiwan on Friday donated US$400,000 to the Philippines to help with the Southeast Asian country’s reconstruction efforts after it suffered heavy losses from Tropical Storm Nalgae last month.
Manila Economic and Cultural Office chairman Silvestre Bello received the donation from Representative to the Philippines Michael Hsu (徐佩勇) at a ceremony in Manila.
The storm swept through the Philippines at the end of last month, killing 159 people, Philippine National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council data showed.
Photo: AFP
The Philippines also experienced about US$86.63 million in infrastructure damage, and US$26.77 million in losses to the fishery and livestock breeding industries. The agriculture industry lost US$111.72 million.
Bello expressed gratitude to Taiwan and its people for their generosity, which he said strengthens the Philippines’ relief efforts, especially to Cagayan and Isabela, two major agricultural provinces that experienced the heaviest losses.
Taiwan in the past year has donated US$1.1 million to the Philippines to help pay for relief and reconstruction efforts after natural disasters.
That includes a donation of US$200,000 made to Abra province in August to help with reconstruction following a magnitude 7.0 earthquake in late July.
The Taipei Economic and Culture Office in the Philippines said Taiwan would continue to work closely with the Philippines in a wide range of areas, such as agriculture, education and tourism, and enhance bilateral cooperation and partnership, which is expected to improve the welfare of people in both countries.
Separately, Taiwan has pledged US$100,000 to Saint Lucia to help the Caribbean ally recover from devastation caused by recent flooding.
Heavy rainfall on Sunday last week triggered devastating floods in the capital, Castries, and also in the country’s north. Many houses, roads and bridges were destroyed.
The donation is to help Saint Lucia with its reconstruction efforts, and further assistance could be given if needed, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
No Taiwanese living in the Caribbean nation are known to have been affected by the disaster, it added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not