The Taipei City Government yesterday announced that applications are to open today for 510 units of Xinglong Public Housing (興隆公共住宅).
Applications are to be accepted until Aug. 17 for the units in the D2 section at the intersection of Lane 138, Mushan Road and Lane 105, Xinglong Road in Taipei’s Wenshan District (文山), the city government said, adding that eligible applications would be decided through a lottery.
Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) said that while people have often questioned the quality and aesthetics of public housing, the new projects that have been completed or are under construction would reverse that impression, as they incorporate new smart living technologies and urban aesthetics.
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
The new buildings have smart power meters, panels and grid systems, as well as security systems, he said, adding that lower floors would be reserved for elderly care centers, childcare centers and other social welfare facilities.
Xinglong Public Housing’s D2 section is part of the Ankang Public Housing reconstruction project.
Of the 510 units, 153 are to be reserved for Ankang Public Housing households, 26 for Aboriginal households, 153 for households registered in local boroughs, 117 for Taipei residents, 26 for people studying or working in Taipei and 35 for young entrepreneurs.
The housing units — 12-ping (39.7m2) studio apartments; 16-ping one-bedroom apartments; three types of two-bedroom apartments ranging from 21 ping to 30 ping; and 36-ping three-bedroom apartments — are to be open to the public from 10am to 4pm from Saturday to Monday next week.
Monthly rent ranges from NT$7,100 to NT$9,400 for the studio and one-bedroom apartments and NT$12,300 to NT$17,600 for the two-bedroom apartments, and is NT$21,100 for the three-bedroom apartments.
“It takes three years to finish building a house, so you cannot say that I went back on my word, and it is quite impressive to have already built 20,000 public housing units,” Ko said, when asked by reporters if he had failed to meet his goal of building 20,000 public housing units in four years.
Asked if he expects to accomplish his goal of building 50,000 public housing units in eight years, he said that negotiations before the start of a project take a significant amount of time.
However, after discovering that there are about 36,000 residential units in the city that have been vacant for more than 12 months, the mayor added that the goal might be modified to reduce new housing projects and to create more incentives to rent out vacant units.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not