Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) yesterday inspected the Beitou Depot of the city’s Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system, where he was briefed about its operations and the Taipei Rapid Transit Corp’s (TRTC) outlook on the metro rail system’s future.
Before entering the depot, Ko visited the Interactive Emergency Evacuation Exhibition Center near the Beitou Resort, where he tried out a board game that tests players’ emergency responses when a fire breaks out on the MRT.
Ko also entered a “kinetic driving simulator,” where he assumed the role of an MRT driver and experienced the impact created on MRT carriages by different magnitudes of earthquakes and typhoons.
Photo: Lo Pei-der, Taipei Times
TRTC Planning Division head Wu Chun-yo (吳俊佑) briefed Ko on a series of events scheduled by the company to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the MRT’s launch, including an international seminar scheduled to take place in September to promote Taipei and boost MRT ridership.
Wu said the company is formulating a plan scheduled to take effect in May that would allow students from low-income families in Taipei and New Taipei City to take a free round-trip from home to school every day.
The company is also devising plans to combine the MRT system with retail and logistics, he said.
For example, people would be able pick up merchandise they purchase online at their preferred convenience stores in MRT stations by scanning QR codes, Wu said.
“Smart” lockers that would allow consumers to pick up products they purchased online are also being planned, he said.
Ko later inspected the depot, where he learned about a track welding technique known as electric flash butt welding, as well as track cleaning vehicles.
In related news, Ko pledged to tackle billboards and signs illegally put up around Taipei.
He said that as there are hundreds of thousands of illegal signs and billboards in Taipei, the city government would first target those put up in the vicinity of historic sites and buildings, starting with the North Gate on Zhongxiao W Road (忠孝西路).
With the recent demolition of an onramp connected to the Zhongxiao Bridge (忠孝橋), the city government has set plans to accentuate the historic North Gate, but residents said billboards and signs illegally displayed on Zhongxiao W Road cause an unpleasant sight near the gate.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not