As many as 240,000 pieces of suspected counterfeit merchandise that infringe on the intellectual property of the National Palace Museum have been discovered on the Chinese online marketplace Taobao.
The museum has demanded that Taobao withdraw from its Web site 32 products that are confirmed to be intellectual property infringements.
Chinese Internet marketplaces have been selling numerous products that infringe on the National Palace Museum’s intellectual property, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Chiang Nai-shin (蔣乃辛) said during a question-and-answer session at the Legislative Yuan in Taipei yesterday.
Photo: Lin Hsin-han, Taipei Times
Chiang said that the unauthorized products include those featuring the Jadeite Cabbage with Insects, the Meat-shaped Stone, as well as various adhesive tapes depicting the handwriting of Emperor Kangxi (康熙), some of the most popular souvenir products from the museum.
National Palace Museum Director Feng Ming-chu (馮明珠) yesterday said the museum last year established a group specifically tasked with upholding its intellectual property rights.
“We have contracted a law firm and one of our museum staff search the Internet every day for any and all situations where intellectual property rights of the museum are being infringed upon,” Feng said.
“To date, we have found 248,755 items that have allegedly violated the museum’s rights, with 32 of them confirmed violations,” Feng said, adding that the majority have been found on the Internet sales platform Taobao.
Separate investigations indicate that Chinese sales platforms, primarily Taobao, have a 40 percent rate of holding counterfeits or poor-quality goods.
Alibaba Group, the company that owns the Taobao platform, has received multiple lawsuits over counterfeit items, including several from international brands, such as Gucci, Yves Saint-Laurent and Balenciaga, earlier this year.
Following the lawsuits, Alibaba Group founder Jack Ma (馬雲) promised to crack down on counterfeit goods on the site, adding that a staff of 2,000 is policing the site against pirate merchandise.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not