The Consumers’ Foundation said yesterday that large discrepancies exist among sellers of used cars, ranging from the types of vehicle safety tests conducted to misleading advertisements on warranties, calling for the enforcement of standard contracts to better regulate the market.
The consumer rights watchdog said that three out of every four cars sold in the country is a used car, but because pricing and product information is not transparent, many consumer disputes arise when used cars are purchased.
Last month, the foundation conducted a survey of six used car dealerships and asked them questions about safety testing and certification and found that large differences exist between sellers, and that it was difficult for consumers to make informed decisions when it came to buying second-hand cars.
For example, certain dealers check 11 items when performing safety tests on the engine system, while others performed up to 26 tests, said Hwang Yu-sheng (黃鈺生), secretary general of the foundation.
Road tests on vehicles could also range from checking only five items to as many as 15, he said.
Other tests and certification systems on transmission and directional control mechanisms also showed wide variations between dealers.
Different dealerships also vary widely on their policies for providing warranties, making it difficult for consumers to shop around and make comparisons among dealers to get the best deal, he said.
The foundation said that although the Consumer Protection Commission has introduced a standard contract for buyers and sellers of used cars, the standard contract is not mandatory and therefore has not had much effect.
The standard contract includes important terms and conditions that are sometimes neglected, such as clauses on a three-day review period of the contract and the amount of mileage accumulated on the vehicle.
The foundation called on the Ministry of Economic Affairs, the government agency that supervises sellers of used motor vehicles, to make the terms and conditions included in the standard contract mandatory, so as to provide better protection for inexperienced consumers of used vehicles.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not