The number of people enjoying the waters off Kenting National Park in Pingtung County has not declined despite reports of bull sharks in nearby waters.
Media have reported that local fishermen found two dead bull sharks in waters about 20km off South Bay last month.
A dead 167kg bull shark was found stuck in an underwater net cage on June 7. One week later, another bull shark weighing 326kg was also found dead stuck in a net cage.
Biologists urged tourists to stay alert because the dead bull sharks indicated their presence in the area.
Bull sharks, which can grow to 3m in length, are known for their unpredictable, often aggressive behavior. Along with tiger sharks and great white sharks, they are considered among the shark species most likely to attack humans.
The threat, however, has not appeared to scare off local divers, while local businesses insisted the sharks do not pose a threat.
Pan Chia-feng (潘家鋒), chairman of a watercraft association in Kenting’s South Bay, said he has lived in Hengchun Township (恆春) for over 40 years and had never heard of incidents caused by shark attacks.
“The waters off Hengchun are not their breeding place,” he said.
Tsai Yung-chun (蔡永春), who runs a diving business, also said he had never heard of anyone wounded by sharks in Hengchun.
“It is unlikely bull sharks will appear in waters off Hengchun because the water temperature here is higher,” Tsai said.
He also said the shark won’t attack people unless there are wounds on the surface of their skin.
Chang Chih-wei (張至維), a researcher at the National Museum of Marine Biology and Aquarium, said, however, that bull sharks have in the past been spotted in waters off eastern Taiwan.
Their appearance in waters off the west coast is puzzling, he said, speculating that the unusual phenomenon could be caused by climate change or changes in the sharks’ habitat.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not